Just got a Kona EV, home charging question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by sam9657, Feb 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I agree with you. But given rebates, tax credits and already having 240 volt plugs available at my home my total out of pocket expenses were under $100 for my charger. I bought it before I had an EV so that I could size my solar accordingly. The Power company won't allow residential arrays larger than what will be used. To prove I was going to get an EV I had to show via recited that I had a charger and base the load calculation on that charger. Bought the charger 3 years before I leased the Kona. I haven't paid for power since I put in the solar array.

I do like the convenience when I do road tips and also I like not having to get the little charger out of the car when I charge. I keep one in the car and one ready to charge in the garage.

On a side note the charger that comes with Kona can be run on 240 volt with an adapter and you can get more than 100 miles over night. Which really eliminates the need for a larger charger. But I still like the convenience and the options and in my case it really didn't cost me much.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm glad I didn't install a charger before purchase as I had underestimated the value of having a nearby DCFC in case I need a quick boost.
    Installing a 16 or 32 amp charger at home would have cost me thousands based on EVSE and electrician labour prices in NZ and the distance from the fuse box to my car park. I find the portable charger is good enough at 230V, 7 A and currently use it on a 25m extension cord until I can get an outdoor receptacle installed. Tomorrow I'm going on a trip and know it will take 14 hours to get from 72 to 100%, easily done before then, all on the low-cost tariff.

4. For me, my winter range is a good 40% lower than summer and if I combine that handicap with my typical daily commute there is no way I could manage without my home 240V 32 amp EVSE. In the summer I might be able to manage with the granny cord. Fortunately I was able to do my own install and avoid the cost of an electrician. I think the material cost for the new sub panel in the garage, wiring, breakers and the two 14-50 outlets outlet in the garage and outside was only around $250 + cost of the EVSE. It was well worth it in my situation.

5. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ah, there is a major difference, here in the U.S., the charger is 120 Volt, not sure on the Amps though on this one, will hace to look, but it means it is a lot slower than there.

Bruce M. likes this.
  6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Three cheers for the granny cable! It vexes me that most EV reviewers immediately dismiss it, leaving the impression that you're only going to be able to drive every third day.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The charger is labeled 120V but (at least mine) is actually switching. I built myself an adapter to be able to plug it into my dryer outlet at 240V and it will then charge at 2.8kW! Still at 12Amp max just like on 120V but a charging speed increase of 2x. That thing is great!

Fastnf likes this.
  9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely there are some people who need a level 2 charger at home and frequent access to DC fast chargers -- but I think a lot more than realize it could get by with that lowly, unloved regular wall socket.

10. Bruce M.

Yes, those living in cold winter climates are a different case than me, for sure. Here in San Francisco, temperatures below the low 40s are almost unheard of, and at the hours I'm likely to be driving it's more likely to be in the high 40s or above, even in mid-January.

11. 40s is not warm either. You will see a winter hit, just wait. Where I live, we don't get much colder than that in the winter either, and most winter day time temps well above freezing. It is summer temps well into the 70s and higher when we see the best range.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

40 degrees....we have a handful of days that might be that cold in the morning here in Southern California when I leave for work, but will be in at least mid 50s to 60s by the time I get to work.

14. Bruce M.

Yeah, but those nights in the 40s aren't that common here, and on most of them my Kona will be snugly in my garage. Some effect, no doubt, but not enough for me to worry about. Now if I lived in Minneapolis, that would be a whole different story.