First Rapid Charge

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Jul 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. i wanted to try rapid charging before my trip next weekend. I went to an EVGo station and the battery was somewhere in the low 30% area. I have the DC fast charging capped at 80%. Two things happened. I was alerted that the charging was completed through my EVGo app but it stopped at 70%. I didn’t realize right away that it didn’t charge to 80% because I couldn’t get the car or plug to release. Had to call the EVGo hotline and was helped.

Is the 10% off for charging cap common?

Have you ever had a plug get stuck in the charge port at a rapid charger?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Are you sure it actually stopped charging? With a DC charger, you can't pull the plug until you stop the charge at the station (instead of at the car). I know at 70% it starts to really slow down, but will not stop on mine until it hits 80 or I stop it at the station.

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Did it actually say it was finished charging, or was there a fault of some sort and it terminated the charge prematurely? Unless you had inadvertently configured the car for 70%, or had accidentally hit the button in the EVgo app to terminate the charge, I can't think of a reason why it would have stopped prematurely.

Getting the charger cable to unlock was something I went through when I got my car. You can press the door unlock button in the car (to unlock the passenger doors) - press it twice in rapid succession, and then you have something like 15 seconds to remove the plug from the car.

5. milesian

milesian New Member

Was it by any chance a free charger? Your experience reminds me of the free one I used to go to that always terminated automatically in one hour, no matter the charge percentage or target.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

6. Sounds like com error, unfortunately I have had this more than once. This however does work:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/charging-connector-locked-stuck.8753/#post-98592
    :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Tritium 50kW units common here do stop at 80% by default (but can be overridden) while Our ABB 50kW units may stop at 80 or 90 but don't seem to tell you or provide any options. The apps for both lets you monitor SoC and total cost as you charge, including stopping it remotely if needed.

I think it's best to keep your DC limit at 100% to avoid this additional point of confusion.

9. Yes, it had stopped charging. My wife and I were at lunch and the app sent me a notification with the amount of time and total cost.

I double checked and the charge limit was 80%.

When I called EVGo they said the charger was still charging but I assure you it was not according to the station screen and the app. I was instructed to press the red emergency stop and hold for ten seconds and then twist to the right and the plug slipped right out.

Based on what all of you wrote I bet it was still charging but for whatever reason it stated it wasn’t.

Unless, does EVGo send you a notification when it’s close to being done? If so why would it show me the total cost?

10. Evgo will stop charging after 45 min. Maybe you hit that time? I used them quite a bit in the past and had to restart the charger because I hit the 45 minutes cutoff.

11. It was around 45 minutes.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Here is part of the email EVGo sent me after the session:

"Thank you for using the charging station at Northshore Mall - 210 Andover St, Peabody, MA. Your charge session has ended. The total duration of this session was 00:45:45 and the energy charged was 35.955 kWh. Your total cost for the session was $14.34."

14. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Yes, that is normal for EVgo.. They stop after 45 minutes after others pointed out.. EVgo has the SLOWEST 50kw chargers out there. In reality, most of the EVGo chargers are 100AMP chargers, meaning that the maximum power you can get out of them is 40kwh which translates to an actual max charge rate of 38kwh. I have never gotten a faster speed than 38kwh on any EVgo charger.. They are crap.. Most other 50kw chargers will give you 48 to 49 kwh speed..
    Electrify will give you a much faster rate for the same 35 cents rate than EVgo.. if you use the Hyundai Select Plan..

15. I've gotten 47kw out of evgo chargers!
    Must have been lucky.

16. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Out west, they have higher output chargers.. The ones around here top out at 38kwh.. They are 100 amp.. You can't get more than 38kwh from a 100 amp charger..

Esprit1st likes this.
  17. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Quite an experience. Never had a charger stop after 45 min unless it was fully charged or it was free. I will now avoid EVgo when traveling unless it is the only game in town. It is also expensive when you only get max of 47kwh. Electrify America under the Kona plan, at $0.35 can give you 76kwh.

18. I've heard about this. What is the Kona plan. Was not listed when i signed up.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Maybe the older ones are crap - I have seen them install newer ones that are 75kW or greater.

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

He meant the Kona plan on Electrify America.

21. Right, what is the Kona plan on Electrify America? I only saw two plans when I signed up.

22. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

It's called "Hyundai Select." Details, and how to enroll, here: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/hyundai/

Tldr: You pay a special rate, everywhere in the country, that's higher than the <75 kW rate but lower than the <125 kw rate. And no session fees. But it expires at the end of the year, and it's not clear what Electrify America will do after that, if anything.

Clamps likes this.
  23. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Additionally, there is no connection fee. This is important because you can unplug and re-plug as many times as you want. I sometimes do this to get a better charge rate. I recommend you sign up for the program soon. The program also eliminates the monthly membership fee of $4.00. One of their VPs spoke to one of the Guests on the Inside EV podcast that they were planning on changing their charging to Kwh delivered.