2021 Clarity PHEV (confirmed!)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Jul 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

It's too bad Honda isn't as innovative as Tesla with software updates. Many of the features we would like to have could have been sent to our vehicles via wireless.

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Thanks for posting. I for one am very happy to see the Clarity continue for the 2021 model year. Wondering if Honda will release 2022 version with a 28+KW battery pack, the infotainment from the Accord and maybe the 2.0 engine, along with some other Honda present features. Doing so, the Clarity Plug-In may be the supreme Plug In Hybrid, well at least I would purchase it lol. Cheers.

5. It already is the supreme plug in hybrid.

gedwin and Teslawannabe like this.
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I stand corrected, I agree the Clarity is supreme... 100%

Tek_Freek and Teslawannabe like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. They won't change anything, especially changes like a newer engine etc. That's an expensive change for a model that probably doesn't sell that we'll compared to say a Civic.

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Great news to me as well. I want to be able to buy another of these if mine ever suffers mishap. I wouldn't complain over a larger battery, but rarely do I need it in daily driving, and a larger one wouldn't help me much on trips. For the engine, I really have seen no problem with the 1.5 L, but that may be my driving style and where I live (no big mountains). I love the mpg when I have to burn gas. Yes, I'd be in for some more amenities, but still not a big deal to me. Love the car as it is. I keep wondering why the word doesn't get around about this car. It seem that most people still haven't heard of it.

10. A 2.0l engine would just consume more fuel. They would have to install a generator with greater output and a traction motor with a greater horsepower rating for a different engine to make sense. More batteries would just make the trunk smaller. All four items would make the vehicle heavier and more expensive to produce. None will happen.

At least we’ll have another year of parts and support.

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Just to be clear, I am satisfied with the 1.5l engine in our Clarity in terms of efficiency and could live with it no problem. There are times I do wish the overall car had more get up and go when merging into the highway or passing other cars but as I said it's been great and I am able to do those maneuvers. In terms of increasing battery capacity that may lower trunk space may not occur. If I remember correctly, the hump in the truck is not the battery. The battery is flat under the car and from a video on the internet of someone opening one, there is space and MAYBE an opportunity to condense the 17Kw and maybe add a few more. However, I love the Clarity as is but was just throwing out ideas for when a vehicle is refreshed or reimagined for a complete refresh to consider. All good.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Unlike flat Tesla-style slab batteries, the Clarity PHEV's batteries are situated mostly under the seats and between the seats, leaving the footwells available for foots, er, feet.
    upload_2020-7-19_18-59-19.png

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

"Hey, HondaLink team, we've got another little job for you."

15. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

That's a really nice picture of the Clarity battery and all of its components to bring it to life and power our vehicles. I am talking about the battery cells only that's directly under the car. I believe I've attached a link to the actual battery that is under the car from a wrecked vehicle.

https://evannex.com/pages/resources-for-tesla-owners

There was a video on this forum where someone had the Clarity battery and opened it and felt it was over engineering and could be simplified to add more KWs but I am not a engineer and that's for someone else to determine. I love my Clarity though.

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

17. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Here is another official Honda link that states and illustrates the actual batteries are under the floor of our cars. Read pages 10 and the illustration on page 11. Just sharing. I believe it is a 168 cell battery configuration. Link may redirect to another link but it works.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hj9FL6STJb9gp7y77

18. Yes, the batteries are under the seats. Adding 11kWh’s of additional capacity, using the current technology/chemistry that is now in the Clarity, will not fit under the seats. It would occupy half the trunk space and add ~300lbs, reducing passenger and cargo capacity to ~600lbs. Unless they upgrade the suspension.

I’d rather they found a spot for 3 more gallons of gas.

19. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

The easiest upgrade will be improved battery cells. Since 2017 battery density has improved by at least 15%. So it should be possible to offer around 20 kWh in the current pack. But it will increase cost, so probably they won't do it as they already losing money on current car.

The Gadgeteer and insightman like this.
  20. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Isn't this the Clarity EV pack? I was under the impression that the PHEV pack was solely under the rear seat...

21. There are batteries under both front and rear seats in the PHEV. The Honda powertrain development document shows 6 modules under the front seats and 8 under the rear.

22. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Probably the main reason is that there is ZERO ADVERTISING. If you only go with what the media tells people you would be led to believe that carmakers only offer SUVs and pickups. Then the same media frets about how Americans reject sedans and in consequence carmakers discontinue them. I don't remember ever seeing a commercial about the Chevy Volt, the Cadillac ELR or the Ford C-Max Energy, just to mention some bygone cars. And of course, no commercial on the Clarity at all.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  23. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member