Disconnecting charger cable of Kona while being charged? Simple answer?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by HudsonKona, Jul 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

There have been times when my kona is charging(110v at home) and not yet at its goal and i want to stop it.
    I know how to use the bluelink and send the stop-charging message to my car. And that works.
    But isnt there a way to stop the charging while at the car and just remove the charger? Then there’s the lock charger button in the car. That involved? Assume that lets you unplug the charger when your % goal has been met. So didnt think so.

Any at-car unplug not-yet-at-goal solution?

Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. John2905

John2905 New Member

Just unlock the car and you have about 15 seconds to remove the plug.

Anaglypta and KiwiME like this.
  4. Setting the desired charge level on the center screen (energy information/ AC or DC % charge) to a level lower than what is present will result in the contactor dropping out, and will shut off the charging indicator as well located in the charge port.

5. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

Thanks. Will try that next time.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

6. I have tried that several times on public L2 EVSE and the charging indicator still shows charging at the charge port - also reported by BlueKonaEV
    Note: I will see what the dash reads next time to see if it decreases to sub kW rate as it is supposed to.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. After unlocking I also hold push the plug button for a couple seconds until the ring changes from green to white, and then pull out.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. I will watch for that too. A growing number of the public L2 EVSE around here have been butchered and vandalized, with either the lock catch broken off (might not mate with some adapters or some leaving the car locked to the handle after completion for hours) or even the cord cut off (presumably for the minimal copper content).
    https://victoriaevclub.com/the-pumps-dont-work-cause-vandals-took-the-handles/
    Not like it used to be, but then again- what is?

10. Really, didn't think the Island was that kind of place...

11. I also find this to be highly unreliable. Sometimes it works. Other times no. I think it may have something to do with the charger, especially if it's a network charger that basically has to agree to stop the charge. The Kona won't unlock as long as current is flowing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem disconnecting, either at home (wall socket) or at the Volta Level 2 chargers I sometimes use when I shop.

14. Noting that this is only about AC charging. The EV is in command and unlocking the doors drops the current draw to near zero and in the case of Type 2 plugs which don't have a manual latch, unlocks the receptacle.
    With DC chargers this doesn't work, the charger must stop the charge, however the DC charge limit setting does stop the charge when the set percent is reached.

Anaglypta likes this.
  15. I tried the unlock the car method today (several times) on a public L2 I use periodically.
    The dash screen readout and the EVSE still said drawing 4kW. Of course this EVSE has no locking latch (broken by others for whatever reason) and pushing the button had no affect as well (to pause the charge) so I will have to wait on this one.
    I think that method would work on a "normal" EVSE, I have one at home but rarely use it (next time?)
    In reading the "manual" that came with my N.A. car, I see no reference to the 15 second temporary charging pause (at or near 0 kW) using the unlock function. Is this another European only thing, or does anyone have any evidence or written documentation that this is an included feature in N.A...
    All that my manual states for how to disconnect AC charger is (1) Confirm that charging has stopped on the EV charging station display screen , then
    (2) Hold the charging connector handle and pull it while pressing the release button (picture indicating the manual unlock button on the J1772 handle).
    There is a reference to unlock all doors to disconnect the charging connector from the charging port in the "auto/Lock mode" but no reference to the actual charge rate delay.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  16. I checked yet again and cannot find any reference in the EU manual (Type 2 plug) about this. It refers to (paraphrasing) "checking the manual for the EVSE in use". I only knew from someone mentioning it in 2018 and had initially thought it needed two presses of the fob, which actually is not normally required. I've done a few tests and determined any single unlock command by any means does the job, meaning that if the car is already unlocked and you use the door button it will require two presses.

17. RandallScott

RandallScott New Member

There is a start/stop button located inside the charging port.

18. The charge override button does not stop charging.

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.
  19. On two occasions when I was charging actively at home I was unable to release the cable. Unlocking doors didn't work, pushing the button beside the plug didn't work. I had to go into the car, turn it on and manually reset the charging limit to "under" the current state of charge. Once I did that the charging stopped and I could then unplug. But only then.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. It seems the only sure method for me as well, but I still have not tried pushing the EVSE unlock button for a short time and waiting for the ring light in the charge port to turn white ( as RP pointed out earlier in this thread). When I do I will check the EVSE screen as well as the car's dash readout to see if charging has stopped or is at a minimum level.

21. You still, though, need to double click the door lock or press the unlock on the FOB first. Then you have 15 seconds. I press the plug button, and when it turns from green to white, pull it out. I have never had it not work, if I am within the 15 sec time limit.

22. I don't think you need to press the button beside the plug at all. That initiates a charge but I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop a live charge. Also, since I'm in the car already the door is already unlocked.

23. I'm not talking about the button on the car beside the plug. I am not talking about the button on the plug (eg Chargepoint). If I don't press that button, I can't pull it out. It's like a security hook.