SD card issues.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Nov 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My intent was to update the maps. I was able to get registered and got the maps downloaded to my laptop. The map update tool correctly says that the car is a Kona Electric, so that's good.

The next step is apparently to get the SD card out of the car and put it in the laptop. Here is where I run into trouble. Windows 10 says that it cannot recognize the thing, and wants to format the SD card. So I can't back up the current contents, and the map tool doesn't give me an option to proceed.

The SD card I do have has a label on it that says Kona OS EV 96554-K4111 32Gb. That suggests that perhaps this is a software update rather than the maps.

So I am not quite sure how to proceed. Is there more than one SD card slot (and I pulled the wrong one - from the slot directly under the screen)? Do I let Windows format the thing? Or should I just go out and get another 32Gb SD card and use that?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I think I see the problem. My ancient laptop can't deal with the 32Gb SD cards. I pulled the card out of my camera, and I hit the same problem.

I then put both of them in my work laptop, and both were recognized. I can't use that to update however - corporate IT will require it to be encrypted, which defeats the purpose of the exercise.

4. Oh dang. That sucks. I can't remember what my problem was but I actually formatted the SD card last time before I put the data into it and updated. So, just to let you know: if you end up having to format, no big deal. It'll still work.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

For that matter I believe some people have successfully used blank cards.

Esprit1st likes this.
  6. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I recommend you buy a replacement card and start fresh. This also leaves you with a physical backup. They are not too expensive these days.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That's what ended up doing. I bought some little USB<->SDCard thing at Staples along with a 32Gb class 10 SD card, and everything else went smoothly.

How often are new maps released, anyways?

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Twice per year.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. My 2008 tower computer barely met the minimum requirements for windows 10, and the card reader won't read big SD cards either, so I borrowed a laptop from work and managed to get the update OK. I traded a fellow worker my newly purchased 64 GB SDXC card for one of his 32 GB SDHC card and all went well.
    Thanks for the input on this thread.

11. Igor

Igor New Member

Hello friends, my con is December 2018 limited USA, there is no SD port. The question is how to download maps, can I use USB login?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Igor, if your car is a limited model with the 7 inch screen infotainment unit you do not have built in navigation and can not download any maps. You instead can use the navigation maps on android auto or apple carplay that is loaded on a smartphone and connected by usb to the car.

electriceddy likes this.