Picking up 2020 Clarity Touring in a week

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sam Ng, Jul 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Hi everyone,

Bought a 2020 Clarity Touring on Saturday, likely have the car in about a week's time! I live in a condo in Ontario, Canada. We have FLO believe it's level 2 charger at our condo, how long will it take to full charge the battery? Can the gasoline engine re-charge the battery when on highway driving?

Can't wait to start saving on gas!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

2 1/2 hours max time on 220V. About 12 hours on 120v.

Yes you can charge on the road. Push HV twice, or is it hold the HV button? I forget.

4. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Thank you, with the 220V is that the level 2 charging? Will it work with fast charger if the charger is available?

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, Level 1 is 120 Volts AC and Level 2 is 240 Volts AC. Level 3 is 400 Volts DC, but only Clarity PHEVs sold in Japan have a Level 3 charging port.

When driving your Clarity (Honda says driving on the expressway), you can select HV CHARGE by pressing and holding the HV button until HV CHARGE appears in the instrument panel. HV CHARGE uses gas faster to charge your battery, but it stops charging and reverts to HV at around 58% of a full charge. People have speculated about why Honda decided to set this limit and where they set it, but Honda, as usual, says nothing.

6. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

The Clarity PHEV in North America supports a maximum of 32-amp 240-volt charging. That will yield a full charge in about 2.5 hours.

The factory charge cable (12-amps) can be used on 240 volts (at your own risk, obviously, but several, including myself, do it regularly.) The factory cable on 120 volts takes about 12.5 hours from empty to charge. On 240 volts, it charges in about 5.25 hours.

I have a 16-amp EVSE that I keep in my car, which can be used on 120 or 240. 8.5 hours or 4 hours to full charge, respectively.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Getting the car this afternoon, kinda excited, just not too exciting about the monthly payment :( Hopefully the dealer has charged up the car!

YurkshireLad likes this.
  9. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I hope your selling dealer did charge the car, it would off to a great start. Enjoy your new ride.

10. I'm also in Ontario and wondering if the Clarity PHEV might be a future car for me. So report back, especially during winter.

11. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Very well could be - the best feature for me that I can pre-heat her in the garage or while she is charging (for free) at the office.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We have chargers at work but they're always used, every business day. The pre-heat feature sounds nice on a winter's day.

14. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

At my work, we try to work together to move our cars during the day to free up chargers. You may be able to institute such a practice where you work.

Dan McInerney likes this.
  15. They may already have such a practice but I'm not in the "ev" crowd at the moment, so I don't know what they do. :)

16. insightman

Hopefully, you won't face anti-PHEV discrimination from the BEV crowd. "You don't really need to plug in 'cause you've got gas, so bug off!"

17. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Hi guys,

Picked up the car last night, took a while as the dealership was busy! Overall it was a positive experience with the dealer, except they didn't charge up the battery :(

Anyway, I was driving home and I thought I was charging the battery with the gas engine but I wasn't! Newbie, haha...

I live quite close to a mall and it has Tesla stations as well as Flo, I'm happy for Flo L2 chargers they are free to use! I spent some time last night putting up the dash cam and hiding wire while charging. About an hour in, it was about 40% full, I guess roughly 2.5 hours would give a full charge? Happy to work on the car while getting charged up.

I thought the Clarity comes with stop and go cruise control? I was able to set it briefly to come to a stop, but when light turned green, it would not automatically start? Took a while to get used to the car actually will slow down on its own. Do I need to press a button to re-engage so it starts automatically?

18. I doubt that would happen - a couple of people at work have Volts. To be honest, I haven't looked to see what else is plugged in and I likely won't as we're nearly all working from home for a while.

19. Danks

Danks Active Member

The Clarity does not come with a stop and go cruise control. The adaptive cruise control (ACC) will match the speed of a car in front of you and maintain a set distance. If the ACC is locked onto a car and that car comes to a stop, then the ACC may also bring you to a complete stop. If the ACC is not locked onto a car in front of you - because it is too far away - and that car stops, the ACC will most likely not bring you to a stop. It may not even slow down so you have to stop the car yourself.

To charge the car with your gas engine, press and hold the HV button. HV Charge will appear on the dash. It will only charge between 0 and around 58%. It will not HV charge above 58%.

20. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Sam Nq

You could be referencing the Adaptive Cruise Control w/Low Speed Follow (LSF) function which the Clarity does have.

Here is a link to a video produced by the vaunted Honda tech folks along with an option to select the .pdf version from the owners manual.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2020/Clarity-Plug-In-Hybrid/features/Adaptive-Cruise-Control-with-Low-Speed-Follow

Hope this proves beneficial.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Danks likes this.
  21. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

When acc brings you to a complete stop you will see a note "stopped" or something like this on acc screen. To start moving again you will have to click "res" on the wheel

22. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

@Sam Ng, welcome to quite driving on smooth roads.

I wouldn't call the adaptive cruise stop and go but it's close. Once you have set the cruise control and locked on the car in front of you (the white car icon comes on above your cruise speed) your car will slow as the car in front slows or stops.

As the car in front of you comes to a stop (still locked in on the car in front of you) your car comes to a stop. When the car in front of you starts moving again you need to lightly step on the go pedal to get your car moving forward and then you will automatic follow the car in front of you. Of course allways have your break foot ready to take over!

Once I was not paying enough attention and the car in front of me was slowing down but moving over to another lane and the cruise stopped locking on to the car. Had to manually break hard because the radar didn't lock on to the new car in front of me fast enough.

I love the adaptive cruise and use it all the time. Only issue is that when you come up to a slower car and you start to slow down and then you pull out to another lane, the cruise doesn't react as fast as I would like it. If you drive in sport mode the reaction, to get back up to speed, is a bit faster.

You will have some drivers drive up your butt from behind, as you move over to another lane, because of the slow reaction and acceleration of the car in cruise control. In that case, just speed up faster manually until the speed set is achieved and then let the cruise take over again.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

23. insightman

Do not give this dealer a 10 on the Honda survey--your Clarity should have been fully charged. I hope they lowered the tire pressure from its shipping pressure to its recommended number and installed the rubber plugs underneath the car. Did you get a copy of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) document?