Delivery Stories

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Feb 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm thinking it would be tough to design a way to park the charge-port cover on the charge-port door or MINI would have done it. They couldn't make a larger charge-port door because the opening was inherited from the gas-powered MINIs. When the charge-port door is closed, is there room inside for a pseudo J1772 connector if it was mounted on the door? If not a full-depth connector a half-depth pseudo connector? Would the soft rubber charge-port cover hang onto a quarter-depth pseudo connector? Does the door open far enough for the charge-port connector to be parked on the door without interfering with the charging handle? Wish I could just go out and look at my SE to answer all these questions, but it's still in the UK.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It wouldn't even need to be that complicated...I was thinking of something similar to what's typically on the inside of a gas flap, where you can stick the gas cap while it's open. The solution Mini provided is alright, but only that - "alright". You've really gotta push the rubbery-vinyl strap down into the groove if you want it to stay - we'll see how flexible it stays in the middle of winter. I just don't want to have the Level 2 cap flopping against the paint all day every day while charging, you know?
    IMG_20200625_092415.jpg IMG_20200625_092409.jpg

Domenick likes this.
  4. On Kona EV the cap itself actually fits in that groove, but I assume you have already tried that;)

Domenick and SmartElectric like this.
  5. OMG...now I feel like an idiot.

You're right - it fits perfectly! I hadn't even thought about putting the cap into the groove! IMG_20200625_141708.jpg

MiniSER, F14Scott, Mowcowbell and 2 others like this.
  6. HA ha -your welcome!

rossferguson likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Our Honda Clarity PHEV doesn't have a removable port cover, the door includes the port cover, which makes charging less complicated. I'm glad the MINI Cooper SE port-cover parking solution was available from a forum member because I'm sure it's not in the MINI Cooper SE Owners Manual, which is a half-baked edit of the gas-powered MINI Cooper Owners Manual. Thanks @electriceddy!

rossferguson and electriceddy like this.
  9. No problem, that's what makes this forum fun and worthwhile.

insightman and rossferguson like this.
  10. The Kona EV manual is missing a bunch of useful info as well, I can't take the credit however as I only found this out after reading this post:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/things-i-love-about-my-kona-electric.6038/

11. GDOG

GDOG Member

I placed my deposit back in January, and still waiting. The updates I get from are lame and cryptic at best. Just curious if anybody has any intel on possible delivery dates? Seems strange for Mini to be so non-responsive. I'm located in Oregon btw. Thanks.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just got word today from my dealer that mine is on the boat making its way to North America. If you get your VIN or production code from the dealer you can track its progress at https://mygarage.miniusa.com

trackmini.jpg

14. GDOG

GDOG Member

Great, thanks for this piece of info. I'd be curious to know when you placed your deposit and when did you get your production number? Thanks in advance.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

As a long-time MINI owner who's always wanted an EV I knew I was getting a Cooper SE the minute they were announced.

I placed my order with the dealer before MINI actually opened preorders. That got me onto the MINI preorder list as soon as it was available.

After that I had a chance at one of the initial 2020 models, but ended up passing on them due to the lack of color choices. I then placed my actual build order in early March, just before the pandemic hit.

I believe my order got submitted before the MINI Oxford Plant shut down, but I was informed it went into production first week of June after the plant reopened. I didn't actually get my production number until the third week of June, but that's because my sales rep was on vacation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  16. insightman

Darn, I ordered my SE in October. I, too, got onto the preorder list in January but also passed on the color choices. I, too, placed my build order in early March. I, too, was informed it went into production first week of June. I got my production number in the third week of MAY. My completed MINI has been stuck "At the Port" for more than 3 weeks now.

Maybe the factory didn't put enough charge in the battery and the stevedores couldn't drive it onto the boat next your SE, there are no power outlets at the port, and nobody wanted to push my 1-1/2 ton MINI up the gangway onto the boat?

17. GDOG

GDOG Member

This is all somewhat encouraging. I too was feeling some pressure to get an early 2020 model, but declined. I received what appears to be an order, of what I spec'd. (Signature) in late March. I'm hopefully getting an update today. Fingers crossed. Are there different colors available for 2021 models?

18. insightman

The MINI website is showing the same 6 colors: Moonwalk Grey, Midnight Black, White Silver, Chili Red, British Racing Green, and Enigmatic Black (which is really darrrrrk blue and available only with the Iconic trim). The Energetic Yellow "blade" on the grille with the Energetic Yellow mirror caps are optional on all colors except Chili Red and British Racing Green. Those two colors cannot be ordered with those accents.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  19. GDOG

GDOG Member

I received a VIN today! Boy that helps put a spring in my step.

20. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I put my $500 down back in May, and my build is supposed to be happening in late July, per my dealer. I've been trying to see if I can get the factory to delete the yellow trim pieces. On my dealer's build page, the mirror color can be changed at no cost, but there is no place to get rid of the electric yellow badging and especially the yellow grill insert, which I find hideous.

On the British build site, however, one can eliminate most of the yellow:
    https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/range/mini-electric/select-your-mini.html

Has anyone else tried to delete the badging, either completely or partially? My other route might be to order the black pieces and have them installed after the sale, but that would incur additional costs, I'm sure. Seems like it would be an easy enough request for the factory, since they all roll down the same line.

Here are pictures of mine as ordered (except my mirrors will be black) and the UK yellow delete option (which is how I want mine to look, eventually). You'll notice also changed my rims from the Iconic package "rolling UK electric plugs" to the 17-inch Tentacle models, to further reduce hideousness. I don't know why electric car manufacturers seem to need to make their electric cars scream futuristic weird vomit sled, but I think the Mini can overcome that, with a little modification.

Mini w. Green Stuff.jpg Mini wo. Green Stuff (UK).jpg

Domenick likes this.
  21. GDOG

GDOG Member

I'm OK with a little hideousness. I've got the acid yellow mirrors and grill, but I also wear cargo shorts from 10 years ago. I'm still on the fence with the socket-style rims. Since I'm going with the base trim it wasn't an option apparently, and I prefer the gray rims that are included. Those 17" tentacles are the ****, just watch those curbs.

F14Scott likes this.
  22. insightman

I had to hammer on my dealer to make sure my Iconic-trim Moonwalk Grey Metallic SE would have both the Energetic Yellow "blade" on the grille and the Energetic Yellow mirror caps (@F14Scott. clearly, our tastes differ).

After my dealer entered my order, the print-out listed both the yellow mirror caps and black mirror caps to match the black roof I ordered. The best explanation my dealer could come up with was that perhaps I'll get BOTH colors of mirror caps, but that's doubtful.

One way you could have ensured you didn't get the Energetic Yellow accents was to choose Chili Red or British Racing Green paint. MINI won't make SEs in those colors with the yellow accents. However, although we don't agree on the yellow accents, we appear to agree that the Moonwalk Grey Metallic paint is the color we like.

The ordering process for this car is definitely screwy. It's MINI's fault, not the dealer's fault. Nowhere have I read about the $500 black-leather upholstery option, which I declined. I prefer the Iconic's standard Satellite Grey upholstery, so I'm happy it's not the $500 option. Nowhere have I read about the no-cost/no-rebate delete option for the moonroof (an option I also declined).

I chose the 17" Power Stroke wheels for two reasons: Because they're one more way to differentiate the MINI Electric from lesser MINIs and they're rare due to them being available only with the Iconic-trim level (I read a special MINI tool is required to balance those wheels!). However, I intend to remove those wheels shortly after I receive my MINI (which may be never, because it's been sitting, boatless, on the UK dock for nearly a month).

I've purchased some slightly used 16" MINI Loop Spoke wheels for two reasons: Because the thin Energetic Yellow stripe near the circumference of the Power Stroke rims is doomed to be transferred to an unworthy curb and because I expect my wife to be unhappy with the MINI's notoriously stiff ride, which the 16" wheels and tires will soften (I hope).

Perhaps if there are ever again electric car gatherings, I'll stick the Power Stroke wheels on for the full SE presentation (not that anyone in the majority Tesla crowd would take notice of a non-Tesla). I ordered a set of the Energetic Yellow and black center wheel caps made for the SE to put in my Loop Spoke wheels, but their delivery is taking as long as the car itself.

I also bought the stubby "Sport Aerial Rod" antenna MINI makes to replace that obscenely long sky-hook that comes with the car. My local NPR station has a very strong signal, so I'm sure that diminutive antenna will work for me. I'm ready for this car!

It's ironic that the 2020 MINI Cooper SE I ordered last October is taking so long to arrive that it will be a 2021 and there are already spy photos of the mid-model facelift for the 2022 SE. However, the photos appear to indicate the attractive fog lights will be going away in favor of a pair of additional slots. Why does this electric car need more slots? It's already got a fake hood scoop!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    F14Scott likes this.
  23. idrw

idrw Member

@insightman What does your vehicle inquiry report say under "Port Loc."? I read in a regular MINI forum that shipping speed would depend on which port the car is designated to arrive.