Transmission Replacement at 9000mi

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Colin K., Nov 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Colin K.

Colin K. New Member

Yes, not as noticeable, and seems to come and go. I'll keep you apprised.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. With the newer "701" motor installed this is not the greatest of news. Most of us affected were counting on this as a fix.:eek:

4. I got my 2019 Kona electric in July 2019. I started experiencing the wobbling sound while accelerating/deccelerating at 45-59 mph speeds (around 5200 miles). Took to my dealer when the miles was 6500. While they were co-operative and wanted to solve the issue they had no idea on what was going on. They tried to blame it on regen and assured this is normal. I just had to leave on that day without any further action and i'm living with the sound sincxe then. Now i have close to 8200 miles and same sound and then some jet noise while accelerating and decelerating. I saw a FB Group post earlier today where one other person reported the same issue and looks like hyundai replaced transmission and drive shaft. I'm going to take my car back to the dealer later this week. I will keep this forum posted on updates. BTW, this was the message shared by a user in a FB group `Hi! New to the group but wondering if anyone else has had any issues with their drive shaft or transmission. We bought our Kona in July and it started making a strange wobbling noise in September at around 40 mph. It later started making a jet engine noise when accelerating. We took it in to the dealer a couple weeks ago and turns out the transmission and drive shaft were completely destroyed. They had to replace it all. We’re picking up the car in the next couple days and hopefully there will be no more issues.`

5. FYI - I recorded the clicking sound I'm hearing using my IPhone's Voice Memo app. In this recording, I'm in an empty parking lot accelerating very slowly. The car never exceeds 10 MPH.

Attached Files:

robxb likes this.
  6. Sounds more like a warbling ... is that the noise you mean?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Is this kind of thing happening in countries outside of the U.S.? Since more are sold elsewhere, wouldn't it be happening there too?

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Here is one example thread from UK (lots of postings):
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/kona-electric-drive-train-funny-noise.137774/
    Unfortunately the thread is not getting any shorter not unlike like the multiple threads on this forum concerning the same problem.

10. Keep in mind that you are hearing the clicking sound alongside the VESS sound. Also, the volume of the recording came out very low so I had to amplify it which could have distorted the sound a bit.

11. The card in the spokes sound is clear, similar to what I have encountered but on an intermittent basis.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mine is intermittent as well.

I made a strange observation the other day. I drove the car about 10 miles without hearing the noise. Backed into a parking spot and went about my business. When I came back and drove away, I heard the noise. Only variable I could think of was backing into the spot. So at the next stop sign, I backed up a couple feet and then proceeded to drive forward. Couldn't hear the sound anymore. I was thinking maybe a slight variation in the alignment of the shaft/gear was achieved by backing up. But, take this observation with a grain of salt. I tried a couple more times and couldn't replicate the results.

14. robxb

robxb Active Member

Where do you find the build date? I know when mine was delivered, but not built.

Is this the noise you are all talking about? This is more the high pitched hissing sound, but it's not exclusive to deceleration and regen (happens with regen on 0). I will have to test if it happens in N with VESS disabled, as N disengages the motor, but brakes are still usable (mechanic said it's brakes). It's accentuated when driving beside a wall with the windows down, but I have been hearing it all the time, even before reaching 5,000kms (it's gotten worse though; I'm now at 12,000+km.

15. On the bottom of the driver's side door.

robxb likes this.
  16. EV4RENT

EV4RENT New Member

electriceddy and robxb like this.
  17. More specifically on the driver door frame below the catch for the latch on a mounted black tag.

robxb likes this.
  18. Audio clips 3 and 4 is where I am at now on an intermittent basis, but with the cooler temps and moisture lately it is once again becoming more noticeable and consistent. Problem has been occurring for about 6 months now but again intermittently. Good to hear from another owner in Europe, welcome to the forum:)

19. JimB

JimB New Member

I have a 2020 Kona EV, mfg date Oct. 24 2019. At 5,400 miles am getting the same playing card in the bicycle spokes sound, which was not there when new. I took it to the dealer, but of course it didn't happen on the test drive. It happens intermittently at low speed both accelerating and decelerating. I am wondering if this sound would be the precursor to the high pitch whine or jet engine noise, which I currently don't hear, or if it is a different issue. FYI, based on the battery fire problem (which I don't think is solved, even though I got the software update) the upcoming brakes recall, the steering wheel scraping noise, and more seriously this potential problem with motor and/or transmission, am not feeling great about this car that I loved so much at first. Would like to be kept in the loop by others who have the playing card in the bicycle spokes sound.

20. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

What brake recall? Do you have a link? Steering wheel, I have it intermittently,is there an actual recall for this? Hyundai should be communicating with owners proactively versus owners supporting owners with each positive dealership repair...

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Well there's plenty of reading here on the clicking (or clunking) noise over several threads - which doesn't seem to be related to the high-pitched noise. We don't seem to have had many reports of either recently, this is the first in a while.

Your description matches exactly what others have reported and the good news is that it's resolvable but may require that both the motor and gear reducer be replaced. It's just a matter of how proactive the dealer is.

I know it's hard to keep up, but here's brake recall:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/hyundai-kona-ev-recall-199.10072/#post-117130

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  22. JimB

JimB New Member

There is a pending recall for a software update related to brakes that I have read about. Check http://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/hyundai-kona-ev-recall-199.10072/. When I had the dealer do the battery recall work (software update only), I asked about the steering wheel noise, and they said they knew about it and would fix it, but needed to get the parts in stock.

ehatch likes this.