Electric boats!

Discussion in 'Other EVs' started by Domenick, Oct 13, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Torqeedo , the German company says it has now delivered the 100,000th electric drive for the worldwide marine industry in 2020 as expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to it, is Zin Boats Z2R runabout’s boat, shaped from 100% carbon fibre and custom-tuned prop powered by a Deep Blue 50i system. The 20′ Z2R reaches a top speed of 35 mph and has a range of 100 miles at cruising speed, says Torqeedo.

For the solar-electric catamaran, Torqeedo specifies the Deep Blue Hybrid system to harvest solar energy and store it in the yacht’s 80 kWh lithium battery bank to then power the twin 50 kW inboard drives plus house loads like the galley, lighting and watermaker.

3. interestedinEV

Global Electric Boat Market Estimated to Grow with a CAGR of 11.9% Over the Forecast Period, 2019-2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.com

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/global-electric-boat-market-estimated-115200475.html

The global market is worth US$ 4.49 Bn in 2018 and expected to grow at a CAGR of 11.9% during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027.

Market Insights " data-reactid="21">Market Insights

Advancement in battery technology and decreasing battery prices is fueling the market growth " data-reactid="22">Advancement in battery technology and decreasing battery prices is fueling the market growth

High pollution rate of gasoline-powered combustion boat and rising fuel prices have shifted the priority of boat manufacturers to battery technology. Advancement in battery technology that offers longer run-time and higher speed is driving the demand for the Electric Boat market, worldwide. In addition, noteworthy advantages offered by Electric Boat such as noiseless, smokeless, less vibration and less engine maintenance than the combustion boat helped the market to grow considerably. In 2018, the global Electric Boat market was US$ 4.49 Bn and expected to reach US$ 12.32 Bn in 2027.

In contradiction to the above-mentioned specifics, Electric Boat failed to become superior to combustion boats. Factors such as limited range or runtime of Electric Boat, longer time to charge a battery and high cost of Electric Boat compare to combustion boats expected to obstruct the market growth. Overall, the global Electric Boat market expected to grow with a CAGR of 11.9% from 2019 to 2027.

4. Add to the list- 13 new and 6 conversions
    144 cars and 1500 passengers is no small potatoes.
    Can't happen soon enough:)
    https://insideevs.com/news/427007/washington-state-ferries-electrified/

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    Just got an email from Nikola about their WAV product.

“As a valued Nikola reservation holder, thank you for your ongoing support and for joining our vision to pioneer electric watercraft, creating a zero-emission future. A vision made possible through innovative battery-electric, performance and safety technologies, that reflect the changing landscape towards a safer, cleaner and brighter future.

During all that has transpired in 2020, Nikola has continued to drive innovation forward on the WAV, evolving our Powersport products for future generations of enthusiasts. To continue down this ambitious path, preorder deposits are now being accepted.

To secure your existing reservation and your place in line, here’s what you need to know:

On Monday, June 29, preorders open for the WAV to convert your existing reservation
    Review both Preorder Packages attached and decide which is right for you
    Secure your place in line by October 1, 2020 for one of the limited preorder packages and receive all the additional incentives
    Once your preorder is received, more updates will follow regarding pre-production builds slated for next year and when you will be able to spec your WAV.
    Make your travel plans to Nikola World 2020 on December 3-5 in Phoenix, AZ to see the production representative design, technology and vehicle specifications.
    As we get closer to bringing the WAV to market, it is necessary for us to firm up the committed preorders. Please know, your existing reservation will be cancelled if your current reservation is not converted to a preorder by October 1, 2020. You will remain on our WAV contact list for future updates.

Mark your calendar for Monday, June 29 at 11 AM (ET) and remember to take action by October 1, 2020.

See you in December!”

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    IMG_4930.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  8. To remove this ad click here.

9. Sleek looking product, would be nice to have more info on battery size, motor power etc:

10. interestedinEV

Zin Boats reinvents the electric speedboat in a bid to become the Tesla of the sea

https://www.zinboats.com/boats

Using the BMW i3 battery and Torqeedo motor technology, we created a boat that not only performs better than any gas-powered equivalent, but also gives you a 100 mile range and fast recharge at any dock. Clean, ecologically conscious performance.

upload_2020-8-14_16-8-35.png

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/11/zin-boats-reinvents-the-electric-speedboat-in-a-bid-to-become-the-tesla-of-the-sea/

upload_2020-8-14_16-9-39.png

That level of draw limited electric boats to being the aquatic equivalent of golf carts — in fact, carts and some of the more popular old-school electric boats share many components. If you’ve ridden in one, it was probably a Duffy, which has made models for puttering around lakes at 3-4 knots since the ’60s. Perfectly pleasant, but not exactly thrilling.

What changed everything was the increasing density and falling cost of lithium-ion batteries. The Z2R uses BMW batteries mated to a custom Torqeedo engine, and at cruising speeds (say 15 knots) can go a hundred miles or more. It recharges using anything from an ordinary wall plug to the high-amperage charging cables found at most marinas, in which case it will put another 50 miles in the tank while you eat a sandwich.

Yet the boat hardly screams speed. The large open cockpit is flat and spacious, with only a steering wheel, throttle and screens with friendly readouts for range, media controls GPS and so on. There’s no vibration or engine roar. No aesthetic choices like stripes or lines suggest its explosive performance. The wood veneer (to save weight — and it’s tuned to the speakers to provide better sound) floor and cream leather upholstery make it feel more like a floating Mercedes.

That’s not an accident. Zin’s first customers are the type of people who can afford a boat that costs $250,000 or so. He compared it to Tesla’s Roadster: A showy vehicle aimed at the high end that will fund and prove out the demand for a more practical one — an open-bow tender model Zin is already designing that will cost more like $175,000.

electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  11. All sounds good,... except the price. Can't believe they couldn't build and sell something like this (already using recycled and off the shelf parts) for $20-30K.

12. I hope they do well...who knows, after a few years they might follow Tesla's model and manufacture one I could afford; It would be nice to have about 8 hours run time enough to troll for a few (ocean not lakes) and return in not the best conditions.:cool:

13. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

My electric outboard motor arrived today. Should be about double the speed of your average trolling motor.

It'll be going on a 4.3m kaboat. Powered by a 48v 16ah lithium ion battery from my ebike.

Wiring needs some tidying up. Splash proof shroud go damaged in delivery. Photos to come. Got another project to finish up first.

Domenick likes this.
  14. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Cheers. I might need one of those to run a fish finder.

And yeah, lugging a decent size lead acid battery anywhere sucks. My 4kg battery is equivalent to a 20kg lead acid.

I had intended to use my motorhome battery, But 35kg of lithium is a bit much.

15. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

IMG20210114095517.jpg
    Here it is. Goes pretty well. Not fast enough to get me on a plane. Shaft is also a bit short.

Biggest surprise is how long my battery lasts. I run mostly at 1/2 to 3/4 power, and it keeps on going and going.

I've since fixed the motor shroud with my plastic wielding skills, and have shortened the electrical cables and direct soldered them. I now need an anchor.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

17. X Shore

X Shore New Member

Speaking of electric boats, there is a Swedish tech and boat startup that has been gaining traction recently. They just released their first boat[​IMG] , check it out