My Kona is at Hyundai for the Battery update...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I dropped mine off at noon and they called me 2:30 pm that it was done..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Report from Europe on password to enter engineering mode after update - the # is 2900 (still need to press the 5 taps right and 1 tap left of update)

herode10 and ericy like this.
  4. FloridaSun

I didn't need a password. After 50 tries, I finally got into the engineering mode..
    The engineering mode really doesn't seem to have any battery related information.. It's probably mostly for the infotainment system and system checks.
    I believe that motor and battery management can't be affected with the engineering mode.

KiwiME likes this.
  5. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

And how did the guy actually manage to learn that? Are dealer techs where he
    is substantially less cagey than in the US?

_H*

8. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    @hobbit ,

Are you asking me that question? If so I'm in the UK and trying to get anything out of HMUK is near impossible, and even our UK dealers aren't informed about why they're doing some of the service campaigns!

I love Americans, though, because your agencies force businesses's to be far more open, and a quick look at the link I posted shows that this TSB was posted on the NHTSA.gov web site.

John.

9. FloridaSun

Makes me glad that my 2019 Kona EV has a lifetime warranty on it...

10. Nope, he just actually trialed through the 4 digit permutations, 0001, 0002, etc

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. FloridaSun

Looks like I'll test my charge curve after the update today.. I'm at 56% and I'm leaving on a 100 mile trip... That should get me down to under 20% when I'll get to the EA charger.. (60 miles to the beach and 40 miles from the beach to the EA charger). I will first try with the Standard price plan and if that puts me in the 58 cents/kwh category, I'll stop and change the plan to the Hyundai select plan and re-start the charge

13. You could be the first to provide a graph as well, kW by SoC. Log the parameters in Torque Pro and graph in Excel. I gather it's fair to assume that the battery temp at start of charging will be over 25°C.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. FloridaSun

i have no idea how to record the data for a graph with torque pro.. i may be able to manually record the changes in charging speed

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

From the home screen, lower right - select "Graphing" :D. I have never used it however, so I can't say much more than this.

16. Well, even manual graphing gets the job done, so it's no big deal. Best to graph power by SoC rather than time.

In a nutshell this is what you would do to log using the Torque Pro app:
    1. Main settings, data logging and upload, select what to log, select the '3 dot' symbol, Select what to log, 000_Battery power and 000_State of Charge Display.
    Add anything else you want and "OK".
    2. Set checkboxes: Log when Torque starts, Only when OBD connected, Rotate Logfiles and Format log values all checked. All others unchecked.

3. Once ready to go at the charger, just plug in the dongle and enter the TP dashboard, keeping the device (phone) 'on' for the duration. It should indicate "logging started". If you miss that, you can also verify it starting by entering the dashboard settings menu. You will see there is an item "stop logging", an indication that it is already logging.
    4. Once done, exit the dashboard. That leaves you with a data file stored on the phone.

When convenient you can export that data, specified as a CSV file, via email or cloud service. Graphing in Excel is for another day ...

SkookumPete likes this.
  17. FloridaSun

Charging was kind of disappointing .
    Tried with the regular plan it it charged me .58 per minute, so I switched to Hyundai plan.
    Started at 12% at 72kw but soon dropped to 66kw and stayed 66 to 69kw until 54%, then dropped to 44kw to 48kw where it stayed until 75%.. dropped to 35kw at 76% and to 24kw at 78%
    I stopped charging when it dropped to 24kw..

20200625_214239.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    SkookumPete and electriceddy like this.
  18. FloridaSun

saw this too late.. started charging the same time that you posted this..

KiwiME likes this.
  19. From stageshoot over at SpeakEVs we have a similar test on an Ionity 150kW posted today with a very warm battery, 34°C ending at 46°C. At risk of raining on his parade, here are his numbers in summary (left column) compared with yours (right column):

12% to 60% 71Kw+ --------- 12% to 54% 66-72kW
    60% to 76% 56Kw ---------- 54% to 75% 44-48kW
    76% to 80% 36Kw ---------- 75% to 78% 35kW, 78% 24kW

20. FloridaSun

TMS was on most of my session.. Florida is hot.. I also drove fast before I got there to run down the battery for more data..

21. A little too much to ask for on this update, I guess. Thanks for trying. Just have to hope competition will help sway in our favor:(