Front sensors for distance warning

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, May 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wherever this is I can't find it. It would be nice if posters had enough consideration to post pictures of the discoveries.

I have found a small opening passenger side with a "corrugated" harness going into it. If I can get through the firewall I'll post pics.

In this drawing front is to the upper right and the one I think I found looks to be behind the glove box. I got a coat hanger through so I'm going to try getting thee grommet pulled to see how big the opening is. Got grommet moved far enough to see. Big hole. Now to see it I can get to it on the inside.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/resource?t=d&s=l&r=9A259D595DE0D0D40689678969022D9757AFE1F9B1C43E1ECE3B2DD915EE84E6

Top left behind orange loop. NOTE: No go. Wherever the inside opening is I'm not getting to it. I won't take off the dash to reach it.

grommet far.jpg grommet close.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I am back. The unit is installed, mostly. It's needing rearranging for the cords. They are long and I've just got them pushed up under the dash by the steering wheel.

The path I took to get the wiring from the sensor unit to the inside is not what you would expect. It has one iffy location that I'm not worrying about. I'll note it with the picture.

The first three pictures show where I ran the wires. They are small and flexible so it worked well. The coat hanger-with-a-hook is my standard tool for getting wires through narrow spaces.

In the engine bay: Pushed through from the door side.
    pass thru 1.jpg
    pass thru 2.jpg

The other end: There is a piece of loose plastic with foam on it in that opening, but the opening goes all the way through. I used a wooden ruler to push the foam to the left when I pulled the wires through. This is the iffy area. The wires are exposed when the door is open and it closes on them. Being so flexible and small it's not a problem. Heavier wire might not fair so well here.
    pass thru 3.jpg

The wires going into the opening. Car gets dirty under those plastic panels. When I put the panel back on the dirt disappeared. Wow! lol
    pass thru 5.jpg

The LED is mounted above the info screen against the vent. That area is shaded most of the time and the LED is much easier to see w/o sunlight hitting it. I snaked the wire behind the left side of the screen (fairly snug fit) then into the vertical crack between panels, across to the left between panels, then under the dash. A spudger makes this much easier to do.

Power to the accessory connection and ground. Took it out and tested again and it works great.

License plate: I added the wedge so it is more vertical. At the top of the wedge is a U shaped opening designed to let the wire through. They expect it to go straight back through the vehicle. I opted to cut the base of the U off so I could fold the wire down (a 180 degree bend) and through one of the honeycomb openings behind the plate. The coat hanger once again saved me. I used it to reach down and hook the wires to pull them up to the engine bay.

I am exhausted. I will take more pictures later and add any you might want to see for clarity (heh heh).

Attached Files:

4. I found what I was remembering.

https://idoneitmyself.com/2019/06/09/installing-a-rostra-frontzone-250-1920-fz-ultrasonic-parking-assistance-system-on-a-2018-honda-clarity/

KentuckyKen likes this.
  5. I am going to do some testing. I am now wondering if the vehicles are being picked up because they are so close behind me as opposed to catching them from the sides.

Insighter and insightman like this.
  6. More pictures.

LED location. Assuming wife is okay with it. You can see the panel joints I ran the wire through. The short beige vertical and the horizontal between beige and black.

LED location.jpg

Wires across the door by the hinge. There's no pressure on them as the close points are not where it is. As you can see it's not bent at all.

wires across door.jpg

Wire coming out of top of license plate bracket then bending straight down to reach an opening in the grille.

Top of plate.jpg

Plate from side.

Plate.jpg

Wire coming out in engine bay. Those rubber spacers are a pain to reconnect. I'm thinking about putting the wires under that seal across the front.

Engine bay 1.jpg

Running wire out of the way as much as possible. I was tired by the time I got to this point and I'll reroute it. I can do a better job than this.

Engine bay 2.jpg

Going under the part I removed. Pain in the butt to replace. There are two slotted connections. One slides from front to back. The other from the bay towards the side of the car. And the piece that sticks through. And a push in clip at the back.

Engine bay 4.jpg

occphv and Insighter like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Got the rocker switch installed so we can turn it off. It beeps at weird things while we are driving. It's in the blank to the left of the large blank. I thought getting the switch in the blank would be the tough part. Nope! Getting the switch/blank back in the opening was.

Insighter likes this.
  9. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

My installer told me the front sensors I had installed (made by Echomaster) read the speed of the car and are only active while I'm going under a certain speed (I believe he said they are "can" based). They work well, but I have noticed one odd thing. When I'm parked with the car on, if someone walks near the front of the car, they sound briefly. I need to pay attention to see if this only happens while my foot is on the brake, but I think it always happens. I would think the car being in park would deactivate them. In any event, it's a minor and rare annoyance.

I imagine you could wire yours with a relay in a way that they would only sound when the brake pedal is applied. I don't know that that would offer the best functionality, though.