Choir singing

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Alex800st, Jun 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

did somebody try to get rid of "AOAOAOAOAOAOAO" sound? It seems like it is coming from under the car, left side, just behind the front bumper, above plastic splash guard. (Or reprogram it with different sound?)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tim

tim Member

The NHTSA has a rule that all hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) must emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. So, it's not legal to get rid of the sound.

Daniel M W likes this.
  4. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I thought the Canadian version had a switch to turn the sound on and off...
    Is your car a US version?

Edit: Yes, from the manual:
    upload_2020-6-4_15-51-47.png
    Of course, the darned thing comes on every time you start out... Button to turn it off is virtually useless then !

Kerbe likes this.
  6. joethebeekeeper

joethebeekeeper New Member

I just tell people that I'm being followed by a choir of angels thanking me for doing my part to save the world.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Mine is 2020, no such button :(
    And they say clarity did not get any upgrades in 2020 - she did - she has no button anymore

9. Francofun

Francofun Member

Canadian 2020... the backup choir can be disabled - that’s all...

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

How can I check if my car is US or Canadian version?

11. Francofun

Francofun Member

Well, where did you buy it?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Well, in Canada. But it should be a way to check, should it?
    Besides the fact it is a touring and my seat is manual.

14. Francofun

Francofun Member

Then you have the Canadian edition :)
    No power seat available in Canada, Touring or not... We get the battery-conditioning system standard though.

15. Didn’t it also come with a Trudeau bobble head and a liter of maple syrup?

craze1cars and Alex800st like this.
  16. Francofun

Francofun Member

LOL! Not in Quebec at least :)

17. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

The only time I hear it is when pulling into or backing out of my garage. People I pass in parking lots or in slow traffic don't seem to be able to hear it or - if they do hear it - they don't pay attention to it or don't recognize it. Honda calls it "AVAS" and, I believe, Japan started requiring it in 2010. As all Clarity are built in one of two factories in Japan - no matter their eventual point-of-sale - it remains Honda's techno "halo" car so has all the bells & whistles & techno-yodels.

18. Before you disable it, you might consider that blind folks actually appreciate that feature

19. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

You can just disconnect the speaker which is accessible by pulling back a small plastic panel underneath the front driver’s side bumper. This will cause a warning to come up on the dash indicating there is a problem with the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System. This warning can be acknowledged but comes back the next time you start it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd love to know what's inside that box. Is it just a speaker broadcasting a supplied signal or sound-generation circuitry and a speaker that activates when supplied with 12 volts? If it's just a speaker, then it would seem a resistor could replace it to circumvent the malfunction detection.

21. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

This may be inelegant, but you could always stab the speaker with a screwdriver... But as noted by others here, it’s there for safety reasons.

22. JCA

JCA Active Member

I don't love the sound, and it's not clear whether pedestrians notice more or not, but I wouldn't want to disable it, have someone run or fall in front of the car in a way that might normally be their fault, and have their lawyer point to my disabling a safety feature as a possible cause, valid or not. So I leave it enabled.

23. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Or, is it some computer generated sound which could be hacked to yell "MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!"?