2018 Clarity -- oil filter/crush washer, Canadian version questions

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Stan-O, Jun 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

I've read the post on compatible filters here on the forum, but I want to place a single order at Amazon for all the parts I'm going to need for the oil change -- sockets, crush washers, oil filter, as well as cabin/air filters and oil pan.

I'm struggling picking a suitable/decent oil filter for Clarity on Amazon, if anyone has experience with what's listed there (not sure if link would work, but here it is) https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A15727181&af=%7B%22vehicle%22%3A%222018-59-26891------------2-1%22%7D&vehicle=2018-59-26891------------2-1&ref=gar_fc_1b_Filters I would appreciate some pointers.

What is the size of the cursh washer (better yet, if anyone has ordered them from Amazon, which exact product was it)?

Is there an oil filter wrench to get/avoid?

For cabin/air filters I've decided to go with K&N, I already have the cleaning solutions from a previous car and I've had good experience with them. Is there a reason to pick a single-use filters instead specifically for Clarity?

Also, after going thru the manual, I realize that there's a difference between Canadian and US version as to how vehicle starts in below 30C. The Canadian version is supposed to start ICE, the US version is supposed not to start at all. Is there a way to reprogram the US version to start ICE-only? Does the Canadian version have battery heater which US version lack? Is it possible to retrofit one?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, the Canadian Claritys have a battery heater, but it works only when the car is plugged in. Without the heater, the Canadian Claritys turn into a brick at the same temperature as the American ones. No one on this forum has reported installing a Canadian battery heater. Other differences: Canadian Touring Claritys get the same manual seats as the base model and Canadian Claritys don't have a cover over the rear-seat folding arm-rest cup-holders.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Oil and oil filters can be a religious topic for some. In the end, I think any quality name brand filter, and synthetic oil is fine.

Just to make it easy, I decided to go with the OEM filter for now. I found them on Amazon as a set of three filters along with the appropriate crush washers for the plug, but I also think it is overkill to use a new washer every time.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079DYMS8Z

I prefer the cup-style oil filter wrenches over the bands, chains, or other.

[​IMG]

They are cheap and available at any auto parts store. There are a lot of different sizes so take a filter with you to the parts store to get the one that fits properly.

I used this cabin filter (for no particular reason, but I was unlucky enough to have a mouse nest in mine and anti-bacterial sounded good). It seemed to fit OK.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0828B7XGF

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    TomL likes this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Agree I just buy OEM filters at a great discount by searching part number from multiple sources.

6. graure

graure Member

I use Dorman 65292 crush washers (M14 solid aluminum, 4 pack) from Amazon and K&N HP-1010 filters (Amazon doesn't list this as a "compatible" part, but it fits). I like K&N HP filters because they have a hex head welded on the top of the filter, which eliminates the need for a filter wrench. They're a tiny bit more expensive than OEM, but if you've ever had a stuck filter and rounded out the flutes because your cup adapter didn't fit right, then moved to progressively dumber ideas like the ol' screwdriver, then you'll see!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

Thanks for the link/feedback, but here: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/oil-change-at-7800.4826/#post-50834 it says to NOT get the A02 as it's inferior to A01 and the only listing for A01 I found on amazon has a comment that it's a misadvertised A02.

If you can share a source where you've searched and paid for A01 filter and received A01, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the part numbers, I'll look them up!

9. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that the A01 is not made any more. If you find one, it will be old stock.
    The A02 is the recommended filter listed for the Clarity, and that's what you will get if you have the dealer change the oil.

The argument as to whether it is inferior to the A01 is moot. this is part of the 'religion' that some have regarding filters / oil...
    As far as I'm concerned, if you use the specified filter for the vehicle (same one the dealers install) there is no issue.

Can you find a "better" filter (be it and A01 or other aftermarket filter)?
    Maybe... It is a silly quest to me (particularly when the ICE is used much less than on an ordinary gas vehicle).

I originally started down the same path as you (looking for the 'better' A01) and gave up after finding the same things that you did !

craze1cars and Stan-O like this.
  10. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

A02 is what every Honda dealer uses for every Honda car that takes it, worldwide. So that’s what I buy. Available everywhere.

11. northof49ev

northof49ev Member

Just a heads for Canadian Tire patrons in Canada they are now rebranding "Castrol" oil filters as Motormaster in the black box. Silicone drain back, synthetic filter material, 99% filtering etc.. They are one and the same except the Motormaster cost $8.69 on sale versus $14 for Castrol's filter.

12. To remove this ad click here.