June Update Broke the HondaLink App

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SThomas219, Jun 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

i can no longer communicate with my car with the HondaLink App. The app updated this month and is at Version 4.2.2. I tried signing out and back in but it lost my vehicle.

I re-entered and even scanned the VIN but I keep getting this message: "An error has occurred. Please try again later."

Any suggestions?

Cash Traylor likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Danks

Danks Active Member

4. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Okay...may have found the issue but I would think everyone should be having a problem. I went to the HondaLink website and this message is posted at the top:

We are currently experiencing a system outage and some services may not be available.
    We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

I signed into my account and got this message: "Loading your vehicles failed. Please try again."

Anyone else experiencing these problems?

5. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

6. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Yes, I live in Texas and have had this same issue in trying to communicate with my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV via HondaLink app........

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Yup. Exact same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. vicw

vicw Active Member

I guess I'm relieved to learn that I'm not alone with the current inability to use the Hondalink app. I held off creating a thread on the subject since I've been struggling with it for a couple of days, and no one had reported a current problem here or elsewheare on the web that I could find, so I was thinking that even though it acted like a server issue, the problem almost had to be with my account or devices, . Here's hoping Honda resolves it soon.

10. JRath

JRath New Member

For the past day or two, both of our iPhones get this message whenever we try to start climate or charge or change the charge schedule: "Unable to receive a response from the vehicle at this time. Please try again later." But it does still report if it's plugged in or not. The EV range is changing, reporting, updating. (But HV range has been bonkers for weeks, and disparate between car and phone.)

11. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I live in Colorado, no problems today at all.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

It was not working on Monday (tried to remote climate and could not).

Today is working.

14. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Not working for past two days here at SoCal

15. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Still not working for me this morning. Same error.

16. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

Honda's vulnerability to a system-wide ransomware attack is problematic. While customer information may not have been compromised, core services such as customer support were.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

17. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

FWIW. Working in Missouri this morning. Using an IPhone

18. Texas22Step

And, to add another data point, it still is NOT working this morning here where I live in Texas. (Maybe we need to "flush" some buffer in our phones?)

19. Danks

Danks Active Member

I'm still down too. I flushed the cache on my phone and did a force stop on HondaLink - still no.

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

If these HL app/server problems are indeed due to the worldwide Honda network outage, I am surprised as I would have expected a service like Hondalink would be run on third-party servers such as Amazon Web Services rather than having car apps communicating directly with servers within Honda's infrastructure. It would certainly make more sense now to have distributed services so EVERYTHING doesn't get taken down.

Texas22Step likes this.
  21. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Honda's new corporate motto: "An error has occurred. Please try again later"

Translation: We allowed data security to become a secondary concern. We are now paying the price for this lack of concern.

SThomas219 and turtleturtle like this.
  22. Texas22Step

Your observation makes a lot of sense to me.

However (and perhaps purely coincidentally (?) with Honda's problems) I noted today a report of a global outage of IBM Cloud's service at https://www.zdnet.com/article/ibm-cloud-outage-downs-customer-websites-globally/, so I guess it happens anyway. Interestingly, IBM Cloud's error message to users is "Something went wrong. Try again later."

23. Valente

Valente Active Member

I live in Palm Springs. Hondalink app hasn't worked for about a week so I deleted it. I will re-install it again in a few days. Hopefully, it will be working. Not optimistic though.