My one frustration with the Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce M., Jun 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Okay, I love my car, but 2 things about the regen function drive me crazy: 1) That it automatically defaults to a standard setting for the drive mode you're in. I wish there was a way to override that and set it at 3 all the time; and 2) It seems to be impossible to adjust the regen settings while the car is in reverse. I live on a busy street with the curbs always crowded with parked cars, so I need to back out very slowly and carefully, and wish I could reset the regen paddle while doing that. But I have to wait till I've backed out, dodged traffic (often a hair-raising and distracting experience on my street) and started driving forward. Because the exit from my driveway is such an adventure, I sometimes forget for several blocks.

Is there some way around this that I have yet to discover?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

On the Niro, you can set the default regen level for each drive modes. It's under Setup > Vehicle, I believe. Hopefully, that's available for the Kona, as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

4. You can set the Regen level in the menu on the entertainment screen under settings for every drive mode.

I don't think I understand why you need to adjust Regen while in reverse while trying to get out of a parking spot. But I think with resetting the defaults that should take care of that.

5. Bruce M.

I never said anything about a parking spot. I talked about backing out of my driveway, and I explained exactly why it matters.

6. Well sorry, however as I said, you can set default Regen Levels, that should do the trick.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce M.

And I believe I have figured out how to do that. I had naively assumed that info on how to do that would be in the section of the owner's manual that explains the regen system. Instead, they buried it in the separate booklet about the AV system. So I appreciate folks pointing me in the right direction, but I must say the Kona's set of owner's manuals is the worst I've encountered in 9 cars that I've owned over the years.

9. Pfft,reading manuals is for the proletariat. I just push buttons until it does something :)

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  10. Not sure if your trim level has it, but "auto hold" is a feature you want to make sure is off when reversing in particular:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/small-issues-quirks.5006/page-6#post-55863

11. They make you dig deep to find any clues with a lot of cross referencing to sections that have no relationship to the initial query.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Amen on "Kona's set of owner's manuals is the worst I've encountered in 9 cars that I've owned over the years."
    And worse yet, Kona Ult. systems are the most advanced to me, demanding guided learning, rather than trial/error at 70 mph.
    Even the terminology is terrible; korean-english-tech ?

14. They probably just pasted into Google translator

15. I trust everyone got an email "Getting Started with Your Hyundai", that has a download;
    Kona EV; "Getting Started Guide: Audio, Connectivity, and Navigation ".
    Really just about easy communications.
    2nd page has photo of the gearshift of a Kona ICE.
    They still have not got a well-organized intro for the EV part of the Kona EV.

16. Never got any e-mail with any form of instruction, including limited information from the dealer when picking up the car. Mostly I got familiar with the systems from pre-purchase web research and "trial and error".

Esprit1st likes this.
  17. Bruce M.

I do read manuals, especially for something as unfamiliar as my first EV. And the Kona's is just odd and not well organized. I actually do not remember getting the email that Ed Z. references. Oh well, I mostly know my way around the car well enough that I'm not needing to look at it much now.

18. Paul Rummler

Paul Rummler New Member

I don't know the reasons you choose to reverse out of your driveway but I also have a driveway where restricted views cause problems getting out. I choose to back into the driveway.

19. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I really like the AUTO HOLD feature. I use it almost all the time. But I *DO* have to turn it OFF when parking - either in a parking spot or my garage. Not doing so makes it difficult to "inch" fwd/bkwd .. No biggie ... but it's a cool feature, imho. Yea, it's in a awkward spot to press, but I'm used to it after 6 months.

20. Bruce M.

On my street that would be literally suicidal.