Right Knee Padding Solution?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by BeMurda, Jun 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

Hi all,

I'm just getting used to my car (Canadian touring with manual seats), and I've sorted out the seat settings except for the right knee. Because it has to lean to the side, it falls into the open console area, and generally has no support. After ten minutes the knee starts to ache because it is holding itself up at an angle. Does anyone have any advice for a knee padding or physical support that could be inserted there in the lower tray area or connected to the top and bottom wings, in order to make the car comfortable for long drives? Thank you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm tall enough that my knee rests against the side of the shift console. It doesn't take long for my knee to become uncomfortable.

I really like the car but I consider the shift console to be much too large and is one weak design aspect of the car.

phevcurious likes this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

phevcurious likes this.
  5. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

I am testing a solution that I think is going to work well. Will test for the next few days. I folded a travel pillow and shoved it into the front of the area under the wings. The fold gives it a strong compression fit and it does not budge at all when I lean my knee on it. Once I am sure it works I'll get a black pillowcase so it blends. I like that this doesn't require any modification or potential damage to the car, and can be taken out in a couple seconds. Also, there is still plenty of space for my phone and access to the USBs. Not so much 12V but I'm not using it anyway and there is one in the back too.

In case anyone else wants to do this, the pillow I used is shredded memory foam and quite dense feeling, which helps with the padding and the compression fit. I bought it in 2017 when I was on a tour of North America with a band :). It's the Coop Home Goods Travel and Camping Pillow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D8XIDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

6. For those with knees on the wing, I would think a pool noodle cut to size and sliced lengthwise could slide on for padding. Or another piece of foam a half inch thick or less held on with double sided tape would do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Or water pipe insulation. It's already split length-ways, and has sticky tape on the cut edges. But I think it only comes in gray.

I like this solution. Easy to put on and easy to remove if someone else (my short wife) doesn't need it. And I would normally only need it on long trips. Much better than altering the car.

On those long trips I put a neck bone pillow under my leg to give vertical support.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=neckbone+pillow&i=garden&crid=1VZJX06MBGHIU&sprefix=neckbone%2Cgarden%2C212&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020