Niro EV Radio Unit Failure

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by spazstic, May 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. spazstic

spazstic New Member

Anyone have any issues with the radio unit failing? The computer in the unit constantly reboots. Suffice to say, no audio, no way to control the charging capacity, and it makes it difficult to change the climate controls.

Started in April when the car was 5 months old. Dealer said the radio unit was bad and ordered a replacement, which they said was backordered 3 weeks. It's been over a month now, and they're saying it's backordered until mid September. So that will make 6 months without a lot of functionality of the car.

I can't see a 6 month backorder unless this is a common problem to all Niros, or unless the radio is specific to the Niro EV.

Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Unfortunately sounds like a one off, no reports of similar issues...so far. Must be frustrating, I hope Kia can speed that time frame up considerably.

4. spazstic

spazstic New Member

That's kinda what I figured doing some Google searching and not turning much up. Thanks for the input!

5. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

The backlog could very well be related to the COVID-19 situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

6. spazstic

spazstic New Member

The dealership tried to blame it on that. It's possible.

The corporate office didn't mention anything about COVID.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

I would bet there's also some issue with the fact that your issue came up just as Kia shifted to MY2020 production, which I believe uses a different infotainment head unit. Also COVID-19, it's slowed virtually everything supply chain related.

Either way I feel for you as this is a terrible user experience and should be handled better by the dealer, cause as much as I'm sure you can understand a parts backlog, this is really unfair to saddle a new car owner with for such an extended period of time.

Sorry to hear of your issue.

Tom

9. For-EV-R

For-EV-R New Member

For what it is worth, I'm pretty sure Kia is using the same 8in head unit as 2019 (goes from Premium down to EX) and shared with many other Kia models, and while the 10.25in is new to the 2020 Niro EV, this is again a model used in many other Kia models. So it's a little surprising that long of a backlog given that Kia uses it across the range.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

10. I have had some issues where the phone mirroring does not work. Sometimes plugging and unplugging the phone has fixed it. Sometimes it seems like rebooting the car has fixed it. Sometimes rebooting the phone has fixed it. I am running an older OS on my phone (because it is a older phone), so I suspect that is the issue.