Navigation system with map update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Jun 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I emailed them yesterday too. Guess we woke them up.

And I ordered the USB stick yesterday too, on eBay.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Downloaded the Canada update yesterday (three and a half hours). Went to install it today and it told me the file was corrupt (twice). Fortunately I'd downloaded to a new SD card and, despite what the installation manual says, you can go back. I'll wait a week or so before I try it again.

4. Just curious... if anyone has successfully installed a Canadian update for MY2020, what is your resulting Map Version after the update? I ordered/updated with a USB stick from MNsoft and have NAM 13.41.42.xxx.
    Like I said, just curious as the docs on their website said it should be 13.41.41.xxx. I'm assuming they just forgot to update the website when a later one rolled out.

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

This is the first really useful update for my area. The speed limit of our major highway has finally been corrected and now you can find Strathcona Parkway, which has been so called for years. No additions to the ancient list of charging stations.

There are some cosmetic changes as well, and unless I'm mistaken you no longer have to zoom in so far to see labelled secondary roads.

Besides the new map we're treated to the ambient sounds, which seem to start playing at random times. For those who want café bustle on lovers' lane, I guess.

6. Good to hear, version #?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

2019 here. As you mentioned the version # on the website is incorrect and I have installed 13.41.42.

electriceddy and hwitten like this.
  9. Some icons disappeared such as the EV icon in the setup menu button. I have the 2020 model in Canada. Did you noticed that too?

10. My 2019 model menu had the exact same menu buttons as before.

11. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I just updated and noticed the bluelink app was working at least twice as fast as before, so that is good. it was not reasonable before. Maybe I was just lucky and found a time when their system was not busy! I locked the doors remotely, and it took only about 5-10 seconds.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

Twenty seconds to lock just now.

14. I successfully downloaded and installed the USA 14.0 map update today.

There were a number of surprises, and not good ones.

1. On Windows, the downloader leaves a huge 23+ Gb folder called MnSMapUpdate in C:\Users\(my name)\Downloads. You should free up that space by deleting the folder manually. A well-behaved downloader program would have done it automatically.

2. The downloader program only needed 23.3 Gb on the USB drive. Why didn't it accept the 32 Gb drive I had on hand, instead of making me go buy a 64 Gb drive?

3. It looks like it's no longer possible to reorder radio presets. I posted this in a separate thread to discuss.

15. There's no EV icon in my 2020 USA setup menu. There's a blank spot in the upper left corner, so maybe something else disappeared. You can get to EV settings by touching the battery in the home screen.

The nag screen that comes up when the car is powered on has about three times as much text as before. And to make sure that you read it all, the Confirm button is grayed out for eight seconds or so before you can press it. Is that new? But then if you ignore it for a while, it goes away by itself.

rfg81 likes this.
  16. Well, I cannot comment on the Homescreen, since I always had the EV button in there and no battery, as you are describing (2019 model here).

The nag screen for me has always been the way you are describing it right now. However the text changed with every update.

Toolworker likes this.
  17. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thanks for that info on that bloated left-behind FOLDER ! And I agree - it's stupid that they require a 64GB stick if it will fit on a smaller drive. Also, WTH don't they just download a ZIP FILE to our local computer/drive and allow us to UNZIP & Copy the files to a USB Stick? I mean, really? This is 2020. :)

Esprit1st likes this.
  18. This is 2020, when many computers users, if told to unzip something, would start removing clothing. :)

More technically - I had been going to complain that they erase the USB drive when they could put the files in a folder and leave the rest of my files alone.

Then it occurred to me that for a General Update the unit might need to boot and run from the USB drive, which could require erasing the drive to install a specialized boot loader. If that speculation is accurate, then unzipping wouldn't work.

14.0 doesn't require a General Update, but it makes sense to have one process for all updates. And for the integrity of the process and general user convenience, it makes sense to have the downloader create the drive rather than unzipping. It probably does use compression in the download process, but code doesn't compress much.

19. The MnSOFT Map Downloader app for the PC appears to have numerous bugs. After registering my 2019 Kona Limited on their website, I tried to advance to Step 1 which requires me to select the drive onto which the data should be downloaded. When I select the box [Please select], no options are offered, so I can't download anything. In addition, when I select the blue box [Map update Manual (PDF)], it links to a pdf for vehicles that have an SD slot, which my car doesn't have. Another forum member provided a link to the Map Update Manual for the 2020 model, but that won't work for the 2019 model, which lacks a row of buttons under the display. Does anyone have a link to the Map Update Manual for the 2019 model?

20. For the 2019 model you need to have an SD card on your computer to have an option on the step 1 box. Hope it helps

21. Right. You must have a memory device of the correct type (SD or USB) and capacity (at least 64 Gb for my 2020) actually plugged into your computer before the box will let you proceed.

22. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Thats correct, they now require the sd card to be inserted and selected. It won't download to the hard drive. I used the 32 gb card from the car. It was risky because it formats it first, and then it didn't download correctly, so I formatted again using the computer formatting software and then the download worked.

23. After one failure last week I downloaded and intalled the Canadian update successfully onto a 64 Gb SD card (2019 Ultimate). It's only using something like 27 Gb. I think the map display, particularly street names and their placement, is an improvement over V13.5, and I prefer the Milk theme to what I had.

I've noticed that a different menu item is missing. My last version had All Menus>Driving Info, which automatically reset after each restart. That screen had bar graphs of acceleration and deceleration rates and it's missing from the V14 update, replaced by the nature media sounds. It's not a big deal but it was interesting to look at occasionally.