WTB reservation spot for Model 3

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by DSK, Oct 8, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DSK

DSK New Member

I am looking to buy someone's spot in line to get a Model 3 in begging of 2018. Anyone wants to sell me their spot? If so, please PM me with price. Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Unless you're a relative of the reservation holder, it's not going to happen.

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen, period. Tesla makes it clear in the "fine print" that reservations are not transferable without the express permission of Tesla.

WalksOnDirt likes this.
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

I haven't watched the video, but the article accompanying that gives some very bad advice. As in, in advises you to do something that is actually illegal. Specifically, according to comments on that article, claiming the up-to-$7500 Federal income tax deduction for buying an EV is legal only if you don't intend to resell the car within a year... and reselling it immediately is what the article suggests as a "workaround". Well, it's a "workaround" that the IRS would consider fraud.

Read the comments on the article, they are far more illuminating.

I'd also advise anyone considering such a workaround to check with Tesla to see if the warranties will transfer the car as a new car... or as a used car. Legally, it's a used car even if the first owner puts zero miles on the odometer.

Let's be clear: What the article (and embedded video) that Domenick linked to is not about transferring the reservation. It's about a reservation holder buying the car and immediately reselling it to someone else.

The article claims "This is really no different in the end." This is an astonishingly wrong assertion, especially when based on a video from someone who said they checked with a lawyer before giving the advice in that video.

Make no mistake: Buying a car which legally qualifies as a "used car" is not the same as buying a new car!

WalksOnDirt likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Jack

Jack Administrator

Great point, be careful what you do! Still tho, if there is a will ($$) there's a way.

8. God

God Member

I probably just made your day...

"Can I use my Tesla owner priority on more than one Model 3 reservation?
    Yes. If you own one Tesla, you will receive priority for one Model 3 reservation. If you own two or more Teslas, you will receive priority for up to two Model 3 reservations."

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq

9. Jack

Jack Administrator

Interesting information, but how does it relate to transfer of reservation?

10. God

God Member

The OP posted in the X forums that he owns one, so if you own a Tesla, you could put in a reservation now and jump the line over non-Tesla owner meaning they wouldn't need to deal with the transfer headache...

Jack likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Pushmi-Pullyu

I really can't grasp this concept that if cars start coming with built-in robot chauffeurs, this will somehow change the convenience and desirability of having your own personal car available at all times for your use.

Robotic chauffeurs will make taxi service cheaper, but it certainly won't make it any more convenient; nor is it likely to have a significant impact on the hours-long waiting time to get a cab, for those living in the suburbs; nor is it going to make it any easier to find any taxicab service at all for those in rural areas.

In fact, I think it likely that autonomous cars will increase the rate of car ownership. Those who now cannot drive due to old age, disability, or legal restriction, will be able to start using their own car when cars become autonomous. Furthermore, the dropping accident rate (and thus lower cost for insurance) due to safer robotic drivers, and the eventually lower cost of buying and maintaining an EV over a gasmobile, will let some of those who currently can't afford to own their car, do so.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    WalksOnDirt and Domenick like this.