Why doesn’t it have a heat pump?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by turtleturtle, Jun 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

In cold weather, electric heat can sap 40% more energy from the battery. The BEV model has a heat pump. The i3 has a heat pump. Honestly wondering if it’s possible to retrofit the BEV parts into a PEHV and reap the savings.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Can't imagine the ROI would justify it, though doing it to say you can/did is a different goal entirely.

I wondered why not too. Guess the thought was to save $10 since the ICE can help heat...

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I couldn't find a photo of the heat-pump setup for the Clarity Electric (RIP), an electric Audi or a Tesla, but look at how much plumbing is required around the motor to accomplish liquid cooling with a heat-pump in the electric MINI Cooper SE.

upload_2020-6-26_9-33-44.png

5. ab13

ab13 Active Member

An electric heater is far simpler and reliable. Since the system includes a gas engine it also is tied to the waste heat from the engine. A heat pump would have to be an "air conditioner" system with twice the life expectancy of just a straight air conditioner since it would have a 100% duty cycle.

Agzand likes this.
  6. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Exactly, with a gas engine there is less benefit to heat pump. It will be beneficial only when you are driving in EV mode in cold weather. Most Clarity PHEVs are sold in moderate climate states. The RAV4 prime does have a heat pump though, so it is a nice thing to have if you are in snow belt.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Possibly difficult to package in the engine compartment along with the ICE and clearly more expensive.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Especially now being barely sold outside CA

10. turtleturtle

In the snow belt here on the Canadian border. So more savings where we are at.

Would agree that packaging and ICE and electric into the engine bay likely complicated it. Just so much more efficient for those of us in cold climates that don’t use the ICE that much.

JFon101231 likes this.
  11. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

The existing AC system is a heat pump.
    What you are asking for is some additional plumbing to allow the AC to be able to reverse and pump heat into the cabin in cold weather as well as still being able to pump heat out of the cabin in hot weather.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. turtleturtle

Right. We have a heat pump at the house. Works great. I do wish we could just run the AC in reverse, but it’s not configured that way.

14. eneka

eneka Member

fwiw the BMW i3 REX does not have a heat pump, only a resistive heater, while the BEV model has both the resistive and heat pump in the US (heat pump is optional extra in europre iirc).

15. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

The I3 Rex has neither a heat pump nor any way to utilize engine or electronics waste heat for cabin heating.
    100% resistive.
    The BEV model has a (now optional) heat pump with backup resistive heater.