'What's a Leaf?'

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by JJ2, Apr 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Does anyone else have the feeling no seller knows anything about the Leaf? That it's like the dealer has no interest in selling one? (We went to one dealer last month, looking for a new SL, or a year old model with ProDrive. They showed us 2 used SV's. If they had any new ones, they never offered to show us).
    In 2016, we bought a year old SL. From the next state over! We couldn't find any SL's on the lots. In Atlanta! We had to go online. We got a great price on a great car. And we're ready for a model with ProDrive - but again, try finding one! I've called the Alabama place twice. Someone finally called back today, and she confirmed my suspicion. The poor woman had only been there for 3 months. She thought I was saying 'lease'. Why? She'd never heard of the car. Didn't know they sold an EV! She finally asked if it was a pickup I was looking for. She started writing down whatever I told her about EV's, but I doubt if they sell many in that small town. 'It's the biggest selling EV in the world. But in the States, it's niche.' And assume all the ones they bought from auction were sold in cities, in different states?
    My eyes are still rolling, but she has a lot to learn, about the many different models. I asked her to have the sales manager call me back when he finds something.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Yes unfortunately there are many dealers that are not incented to sell EVs. Hopefully as this market turns even hotter, they will eventually get it.

4. Electra

Electra Active Member

And that's the reason why some people like Tesla. Just order your car online and if you don't like it, return it within 7 days. Like Amazon for electric cars.

JJ2 likes this.
  5. It's good to shop around. I found an area Chevy dealer with a salesperson trained on their electric inventory.

6. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Mike - I suspect most sellers don't know as much about the car as we do, on this site. They have to know as much as they can about all the cars. We are targeted. I posted that story as something funny. This lady was new to selling. The lady we're working with now has been selling Leafs since they came out. She knows her stuff. (yet still made a few mistakes with data)
    And save me - I'm now getting Tesla fever...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kenneth Bokor

Its getting better. At least here in Canada now with our National EV Incentive Program, more dealers are excited again to push EVs.

9. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Good to hear. And Georgia may bring their rebate back. At half of the $5000 they used to offer. I mentioned before that Leaf sales fell 90-some % that week, and never returned.
    I'm trying to find a dealer that will rent me a Leaf for the day. Even a 2018, as long as it has the ProPilot. I'm buying a new car just for that feature, and want to get to know it, first. Hertz rents them out in California. I'm here in the armpit of the southeast. Where they charge a gas-guzzler tax on EV's!

10. Kenneth Bokor

Great, is you can try one out before you think about purchasing, always a great idea! Best of luck on whatever you decide upon (as long as its an EV!)

JJ2 likes this.
  11. I bought my Leaf from the first Nissan dealer in town who didn't pretend to know something they actually knew nothing about (i.e. the Leaf)......the first one tried to tell me the motor under the hood was the battery, and the next one tried to tell me that there was a pool of 2018 Leaf's she could access for me within the week (there were only 3 2018 Leafs left in town, all base models). I finally found one who said what they knew, and didn't pretend to know what they didn't, so I put in my order for a 2019 and waited the 4 months for it to arrive.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JJ2

JJ2 Member

That's dedication! Congratulations.

14. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Nissan as a company has not pushed the Leaf in the US. They stayed with the 106 mile model for years, when they came out with 150 mile just about three years back. Given they were one of the first EVs in the market, they still have not crossed the 200,000 mark. Dealers will invest in training staff if they see volumes and incentives from the manufacturer. They have not seen the focus from Nissan. In which case, why would they invest. If they feel it is a compliance car, they will treat it like one. Nissan has squandered away a great opportunity.

15. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Going to different dealers, the ignorance was stunning! It's like they had no interest in selling any.