What charging speed are you getting on your Level 2 charger?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

What charging speed are you getting at your home Level 2 charger?

1. under 5 kwh

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 5 kwh - 5.5kwh

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. 5.6 kwh to 6 kwh

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. 6.1 kwh to 6.5 kwh

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. 6.6 kwh to 7 kwh

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. > 7 kwh

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I have a 26 amp charger and I'm getting between 6.0 and 6.1 kwh.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just a point of correction you actually have a 32 amp charger in your car( just like everyone else that currently owns a Kona) capable of delivering 7.6 Kwh assuming a 240v nominal voltage( minus charger losses). To be clear your EVSE is not a charger but rather a safety cord, in your case limiting your max amperage to 26.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

I understand that I'm technically using an incorrect term for the ESVE just like most who have cable internet call their device connecting them to the Internet "Cable Modem" which is technically incorrect as Modem stands for Modulate/Demodulate. As the signal on your cable is already digital, the device does not modulate/demodulate anything. That terminology is from the time when the internet signal came through our phone lines and it had to be modulated/demodulated.

5. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I don't have a level 2 charger at home but I have free chargers at work.

I have no idea what their rating is, I suspect 30A, but in the car I see about 6.3 kW being reported.

if the vehicle reports what is actually flowing in the battery that would be a 30A charger with 90% over-all efficiency.

EDIT: I was wrong, actually I just checked and the charger is a leviton with 32A output and the car shows 6.0 kW on the dashboard at 76% capacity.

I don't know why it's so low. if the charger really outputs 32A I should see more than 6.0 kW.

6.0 kW is less than 80% of the charger capacity at 240V...

unless it's not 240V but 208. at 208V this would be 6.65 kW out of the charger and 6 kW would be 90%.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. FloridaSun

I get about 6.1 kw at the only public free charger in my town. It's one of those Chargepoint chargers (see pic below).. I'm surprised I'm only getting 6.1 kw as I'd think that it's likely a 30 amp station and should get more than that.. That's about what I get at home with my 26 amp ESVE 20190805_162538.jpg .

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. victor_2019

I was wrong and I see 6.0 kW with the work charger, see my edit above.

9. FloridaSun

Interesting that my 26 amp home ESVE gets the same charging rate.. Not sure why the Chargepoint doesn't allow charging at a higher rate.

10. victor_2019

so what do you mean by 26A EVSE?

is your EVSE rated for a 26A output at 240V? is that what it says on the nameplate? what breaker size is feeding your EVSE?
    and do you see 6.0 kW displayed on the kona dashboard while it is charging?

26A @ 240V means 6240W and if you see 6.0kW displayed on the kona dash this would mean a charging efficiency of 96%. I have no idea what the efficiency of the charger in the kona is and if the kona displays the actual power delivered to the battery on the dash.

some of these chargers do have the ability to limit the current of the charger to less than nominal in case the breaker is smaller than the max required.
    I have no idea if the chargers at work are set to deliver the max they can.

11. FloridaSun

Yes, EVSE... It's rated at 26A and actual current shows to be about 24.6 amps on the readout. 240 Volt. The Kona displays between 6.0 and 6.1 kw while charging.
    The readout on the EVSE itself fluctuates between 5.7 and 6.4 kw but the display on the Kona stays pretty steady between 6.0 and 6.1 kw. Breaker is 40 amps.. I was running with 30 amp breaker until Electriceddy suggested using a 40 amp breaker. Verified that wire is #8, so I'm good to 50 amp peak load even though the breaker will trip at 40A.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. victor_2019

so then perhaps the dashboard does not display the real power delivered to battery but the input power of the on board charger

14. FloridaSun

I don't know.. I just know that I'm charging at home at the same speed as I get at those Chargepoint public stations. Highest I've ever gotten on a public Level 2 chargepoint station was 6.1 kwh and that's also the highest I've ever gotten at home.

15. The latter is more than likely correct

16. Hyundai's docs says 91% for the OBC efficiency.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. That's pretty similar to what I have experienced, single phase 240V and the same 3 phase 208V
    Of course most commercial EVSE are 208V but nice to see same efficiency.

18. FloridaSun

I'm not sure if I get this.. If I charge with my 26 amp EVSE, I'm getting the same dash readout as someone charging with a 32 amp EVSE (6.0 kwh). Does this mean that we charge at the same rate despite the 6 amp difference?

19. Electra

Electra Active Member

Power = Voltage x Current. You have higher voltage and lower current. They have lower voltage and higher current. That's how you can get the same power with lower current.

20. FloridaSun

Voltage is supposed to be the same, isn't it? 220 to 240 Volt?

21. Electra

Electra Active Member

Most residential is 220-240V. Most businesses have 208V and a small amount of residential also have 208V.

22. FloridaSun

Didn't know that there was a difference..
    I wonder what the actual dash readout indicates with those who have a 32 amp EVSE at home??
    One thing that my setup has going for it is that it's likely running on very high efficiency as the outlet for my charger is right beside my breaker panel. The longer the distance to the panel, the more loss you will have.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  23. Probably a long shot, but is your 240V AC charging current set to 'Maximum' through the in-car settings? I can't find anywhere in this thread where that was verified.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019