West Coast Electric Highway - 2018 Leaf incompatibility

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Astros, Jun 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Astros

Astros New Member

Those of us who live in Oregon and Washington and bought a 2018 Leaf have probably discovered by now that most of the public fast charging infrastructure is incompatible with the new Leaf. The problem appears to be confined to AeroVironment chargers that have had their charging connectors replaced in the last couple years, but unfortunately that's most of the West Coast Electric Highway system. Neither AeroVironment or Nissan have released a list of the chargers that will work with the new Leaf, but someone on the Seattle Leaf facebook group has started compiling a map of working chargers (reposted by permission):
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=13ULeC8fCVvCXn5btWTDIxsu2295n8NoJ&hl=en&usp=sharing

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

4. I hadn't heard of this issue. Usually, something like this might be a software issue, but it sounds like it also involves some of the hardware. Are you talking about AV chargers with J1772 connectors?

5. Astros

Astros New Member

The problematic chargers are the public DC fast chargers in Washington and Oregon that were installed as part of the West Coast Electric Highway. I have heard there are some level 2 chargers made by a different company that are also incompatible, but I haven't run into those yet. Fortunately it seems, since AeroVironment was bought out by Webasto they have taken fixing the chargers seriously, and have begun replacing the handles and cables of the incompatible chargers. They haven't replaced all of them yet, but the ones they have replaced do now work with the 2018 Leaf, and they claim they will finish replacing all of them in the two states soon.

Interestingly, the new Honda Clarity is also affected, and was unable to charge at the incompatible chargers. But there seem to be far fewer Clarity drivers up here than 2018 Leaf drivers.