Tux Mats for Hyundai Kona EV available now

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CJC, Mar 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. cv_trail_runner

cv_trail_runner New Member

@CJC Thanks for sharing! Those look great. I'll definitely consider these for my Kona.

A cheaper alternative I can definitely speak highly of is WeatherTech. Definitely not as luxurious in appearance - it's more function over style. I've had WeatherTechs on 3 of my cars and they're extremely durable. The only downside is that they don't have dedicated pedal heel pads, which can result in your heel slipping when the mat is wet and that can affect the amount of pressure you put on a pedal.
    https://www.weathertech.com/hyundai/2019/kona/floorliner-digitalfit/ (I'm not 100% sure the standard Kona mats will fit the EV correctly).

Vanryan and CJC like this.
  3. MelCdn

MelCdn New Member

I installed the tuxmat full set first day I got the car. I picked ip one of the prototype sets. Love how they fit and look.

Vanryan and CJC like this.
  4. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

My husband asks whether there is less slippage than some mats? He is hoping.

5. MelCdn

MelCdn New Member

No slippage at all. I installed the retention clip for the drivers mat, i used a few of the plastic clips to tuck it tight against console plastic and I installed a couple of velcro patches to hold down a couple of pieces near the door that wouldn’t sit quite flat. Even without that though there would not be slippage, just wouldn’t sit as made to measure flush perfect as I would want.

CJC and Vanryan like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

As part of my negotiations, the dealer agreed to install kona ev all weather mats for me, but they are still on order. Hopefully they will work ok. They are normally priced at $366 I think, but he is including them for me

8. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Thanks! Ours are on the way via Fedex.

9. Ordered mine (tuxmat)! Should be here tomorrow will post some pictures when installed

VA EV 2019 likes this.
  10. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Our Tux Mats just arrived. They look great. I think better than the Weather Techs we have in our other car as they have those pillow like ridges so your foot won't slip. We will install after vacuuming on the weekend. 20190308_155119.jpg

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Mine arrive on Monday. Thanks for the tip CJ!

CJC likes this.
  13. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

20190309_145223.jpg 20190309_145223.jpg 20190309_145312.jpg 20190309_145442.jpg Just a couple comments on installing the Tuxmats. I have been out and my husband has been installing them. He has taken over an hour to fit the driver side mat. Lots of clips and velcro attachments that are very hard to fit and get everything flat and looking great. He was cursing and sweating when I drove up, and I have him taking a break now before doing the passenger side. He says that the Tuxmats don't allow for that circle clip that the Weather Techs have so you can't use the built in tab which is attached to the underlay. There is something in the package that you spear it with which have to align. The plastic clips are very difficult to get onto the edge of the mat over the seam. He is saying no more Tuxmats! Says when you detail the car, it won't be possible to routinely pull out the mats without a hellish job to put them back in. On the plus the first mat looks great and better than the Weather Techs. I'll take a picture soon. To note my husband has a weak right hand so that influences his review. I just wanted to give you his experience before you buy.
    Update: I gave my husband some Campbell's tomato soup and he got back at it and finished the passenger front side fairly quickly, but he says he skimped on the clips. lol Here are a couple of photos of the end product and a shot of our Charge Point charger.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  14. MelCdn

MelCdn New Member

It took me about 15 minutes front back and cargo. I used flour to mark the retention clip location. I used only two clips for each of the two front sides against the front console and one velcro tab each where the the little thin tabs at the seat sides by the door. In the back I just lifted the seats up a bit and it slid right into place. The hardest part was threading the retention clip pin in.

Kitsilano and fiercely like this.
  15. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Hubby used 3 clips on each side of each mat, and he used 4 velcro's on each mat. He says that was clever to use flour! He struggled with a sharpie that was hard to see. He only put them in the front of the car. Hubby is very detailed in his approach. He wouldn't let me near as he thinks I am slap dash. lol Where were you when he needed you? lol

navguy12 and Kitsilano like this.
  16. cv_trail_runner

cv_trail_runner New Member

I reached out to WeatherTech regarding Kona EV-specific mats and they said the following:

For the Hyundai Kona EV, our FloorLiners and CargoLiners are currently in the middle of development, and we are hoping to have them available within the coming months. We appreciate your patience during the manufacturing process and in the mean time, you are more than welcome to fill out a product inquiry form so that you are notified when they become available.
    https://www.weathertech.com/service/product-updates/

17. David Trimble

David Trimble New Member

I just ordered these based on the photos here in the forum. (New Member here... ) Love my Kona EV. And to keep it as long as possible. These mats seemed like they would work nicely and look great. The sales office is not far from where I work. Thanks for the info and pics!

fiercely likes this.
  18. Not exactly custom fit like the Tux mats but cover 95% of the floor area and don't slip. Home depot $38 including front and back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and did I mention, I am a really bad photographer.

Kitsilano and CJC like this.
  19. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I negotiated new rubber mats in my sales agreement (the only concession I got from dealer). Still waiting for them to come in!

20. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I would contact them again, maybe they forgot? Others have gotten the the Hyundai Premium Floor mats already.

21. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I got something similar from them back in January lol.