TPMS sensors

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

Did anyone here successfully add third party TPMS sensors to winter steel wheels on the kona?

I'm wondering if i get any 433 MHz sensors from amazon, if it will work.

Costco tire shop sells them for about 50 or 60 CAD a sensor, i can get them on amazon for half that.

I'm wondering if I'm taking a risk getting them from Amazon and i should pay costco the extra 100$ for peace of mind(cause if they don't work it's on costco to fix them)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes Kona uses 433 MHz sensors, but they still need to be acknowledged by the car, meaning you will need a TPMS tool that can collect the sensor IDs and program them to the TPMS module via the OBDII port. Typically aftermarket sensors will also need to be programmed with a unique sensor ID or they can be cloned to an existing ID already programmed in the cars TPMS module. Anyways your are going to need more than the sensors to make them work. If you happened to be in the Winnipeg area I could help you.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I got aftermarket sensors through my dealer for my winter tire set. They got the wrong type at first and they couldn't be recognized. They had to swap them out for a different, compatible type.

5. They were likely the 315 Mhz frequency sensors, which are bit more common. They now make dual frequency sensors so you don't have to guess which one you need.

6. Francois

Francois Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. New sensors definitely need to be programmed, the "training" that Hobit refers is the process to tell the BMS or TPMS module that you have moved your existing sensors to different locations with tire rotations, as some vehicles have different low pressure values for front and back. As mentioned by Hobit the Kona likely does this automatically so you don't need to tell the computer where each sensor is with each tire rotation. Those sensors you listed from aliexpress are likely OEM clones and will need a dealer level(ie expensive) scan tool to program the car's TPMS module with the new senor IDs. If you want to get into this on a hobby level look at a cheaper Autel TPMS tool(like the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 around $200 on ebay) and their MX line of dual frequency sensors( around $35 each).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  9. Francois

Francois Active Member

I would not want to perform this myself nor buy the tools as I will only have to do this once in my life for my set of winter wheels. I do intend to go to a garage for this but not necessarily to my dealership.