Toxic Tesla Fans

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Scanning my Twitter account, I first read of "Toxic Tesla Fans." Thanks to Google, I came across several articles with details:
    I'm not sure there is a simple answer other than avoiding snark. Keep discussions to facts and data and most problems are solved.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Also, not dogging people because they may not want a Tesla or acting like Tesla is so superior that it’s foolish to not buy one.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Fortunately I also have 2014 BMW i3-REx which a good Tesla alternative. (Grins)

On a serious side, it helps if the term ‘Tesla Killer’ would fade from the list of too common, trite phrases.

Bob Wilson

Clamps likes this.
  5. SouthernDude

Yes. If anything, all EV enthusiasts should be celebrating and encouraging the development and success of all new EV models. The competition is with ICE right now, not with other EVs.

Clamps, bwilson4web and ericy like this.
  6. I do lots of reading and research about EV’s and Tesla super fans remind me of the Harley Davidson faithful or to an even more niche group, Vespa owners when I get to the comments sections of articles. There are certain brands that develop a cult like following. In Tesla’s instance you can objectively say that there cars and systems are way ahead of the curve in the world of EV’s but they don’t build a model that attracts every buyer whether it’s by price or design. The psychology of superfans is fascinating, the satisfaction of being part of a bigger community gives them great comfort and a sense of superiority. It’s very tribal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SouthernDude

Yes. Totally agree. I’ve been following the development of EVs pretty closely since 2014 and I remember when some tribal EV enthusiasts would basically imply that people were stupid or morally bankrupt because they didn’t buy an EV when EVs had very low ranges (less than 150 miles) and the only long range EVs were Tesla’s with prices starting at 60k and only went up from there. The tribalism was crazy then and it’s crazy now. Human nature is very interesting.