Texas Newbie with many questions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by cberider, Jul 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cberider

cberider New Member

Hi all,
    Been reading a lot of about Kona lately and want to foray into EV car segment.
    Too bad Hyundai thinks TX is not a current market for EV so the only way for me to get will be to ship from a different location.

Few Questions:
    Does the Kona qualify for a 7500 EV tax rebate?
    I asked few Hyundai dealers who are selling Kona and they didn't give me a clear answer.

I found a Kona that is sold in California by a Ford Dealer as a USED (personal lease vehicle) one with 1330 miles on it.
    When I checked the CarFax on it, it says Hyundai Motor Corp shipped it to California.
    It shows that Title or registered as a personal lease vehicle on 4/18/19 in a Cali DMV.
    Vehicle was offered on sale by a Ford Dealership on 7/13/19.

In the above scenario:
    Can I avail a 7500 EV tax credit?
    Is there a way to find out if an EV credit was already applied/availed for the particular vehicle?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes the Kona is eligible for the full $7500 tax credit. It only applies to new vehicle purchases. The vehicle at the Ford dealership sounds like a trade in and someone has likely already claimed the tax credit under that vehicle's VIN. I guess you could see if you can get traction with the IRS to see if it was already claimed. I don't see how Hyundai or dealers would have this info.

4. cberider

cberider New Member

Thanks so much for the info
    What baffles me is that, CarFax doesn’t really show that it was sold from a dealer but just says that title was updated at Cali DMV.
    Is there a way to find out if the rebate has already been applied on the car based on VIN and where would I find such info

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Don't forget that if you buy a Kona Electric used, you will no longer have the Lifetime Battery Warranty which was the main reason why I bought the Kona in the first place. Also, you will likely NOT get the tax credit on a USED Kona but you are eligible for the full $7500 tax credit if you buy the car new, given that your total tax for 2019 exceeds $7500.

BTW, I'm from Florida and bought in Maryland (closest state to Florida that sells the Kona Electric).. I decided to DRIVE the car back instead of having it shipped.. If you plan out the route based on charging stations, there shouldn't be a problem and saves $$$ over shipping cost. Plughare app is the way to go as it also indicates charger reliability..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    cberider likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

Just checked google on if you can get the tax credit on a used EV and got this:

cberider likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cberider

cberider New Member

Thanks all.
    Will look into few dealers in NJ or MD state for a Kona

9. FloridaSun

Best of Luck finding the right car!

10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Just curious are you sure the battery warranty doesn't go to the new owner for the remaining life of the warranty

11. FloridaSun

100% sure

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

20190725_222708.jpg

14. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

ok 10 years is great here in Canada it's only 8 years

15. FloridaSun

Based on how many miles I drive per year, it would be irrelevant if it's 8 or 10 years as I will hit 100k miles in 3.5 years..
    Already put 3400 miles on my Kona since I bought it 6/28