Tesla Cyber Semi & Cyber Trailer platforms?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by 101101, Jul 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

The answer to this may be a resounding yes. At first it seems totally counter intuitive because we think of 30x as heavy but we kind of know it is not because its used in rocketry and is competitive with carbon fiber. But you may say, but that is when it is stretched over large volumes. True but note this: the Cybertruck managed independent rear suspension with no live axle! I understand that the idea that the traditional ladder like truck frame could go away seems extreme for a Semi but it may not have to go away either. The 30x could be cladding in this case and it doesn't have to be of a uniform thickness and it doesn't have to add weight but I also understand that it may result in weight savings if the traditional frame design can be modified without unacceptable compromise on things like repair.

Here is where I see the advantages. Cost, durability and longevity. This may make the body cheaper to make and in lowering unit cost, as long as it doesn't cut into aero too much or at all that seems like a good trade off. Then their is cost as a function of durability, maintenance and longevity for owner operators and logistics companies. We know a commercial semi must be able to go a million miles or 10 years. But why not 3 million miles or 30 years? You see some 30 year old semis on the road now- see some older than that- 50 years. Buy why not shoot for that to be the norm? Automated Tesla Semis might be able to do closer to 24hrs duty and 300k per year. Point is a more durable body makes it easier to get through 3 million miles with lower costs, less hassles and less worries and less maintenance even in cleaning and up keep. Buyers don't want their rigs made out of plastic and they don't want to spend on upkeep and paint and dings and scratches.

You know Tesla understands modular- they had an automated mechanism that could swap the battery out in the Model S in less than 3 minutes and had public trial of that.
    One might say but if it did get wrecked it might be harder to repair? Maybe not- the demoed prototype cybertruck was 30x over unit body or frame- so there are other construction methods available for use with 30x but if possible the CT's use may be still be optimal if it can carry the loads. Its just this might be a cheaper and quicker material to build a body with and one much preferred by the commercial trucking industry that doesn't want dings in the body or paint anymore than cracked windshields. The state of the exterior of their trucks is a first impression indicator of how reliable they are as a carrier which is their bread and butter. Its peace of mind for them. Also if it can be done it will be done because of the Cyber Truck either by Tesla or its competition.

Also it shows legacy and connection to CT and to SpaceX and to stuff that is tough enough for space of Mars. And of course as we know it is super cool and bad ***. And of course we want that.

There is something else. People don't understand what incredible quality stainless steel can be. All they think of is kitchen knives but that is wrong. I have some Rose Art silver wear from the late 60s early 70s, the super heavy stuff. Its had 50 plus years of constant use, its like brand new and the quality is unbelievable, never seen anything like it. I have a finger nail clipper also from Japan which is about 8th inch stainless in the handle and body all uniform all unidirectional brush in the same direction as the longer lines. Totally awesome this will still be be just as it is 1000 years from now more durable than the pyramids. Japan has deep roots I think with such material because of Samurai swords. If you took the handle my finger nail clipper and put it in a vice and hit it with 32oz ball pin hammer I don't think you could bend it (break the mold kind of attitude to it.) It screams quality. And to work with it must demand quality, there is a kind of discipline to it because it is such an extreme material that you probably can't produce something for sale that isn't at a very very high threshold for quality. Its like the highest quality strap leather vs some cheap synthetic knock off or the highest grade of oak or teak. Its purity in the best sense of the word.

I think with this you can produce something that seems as solid as the body of a locomotive but with aerospace weight and better than economy car costs. I hope it can be done, I believe it can be done. I hope it ends up with at least 1200 mile range.

Have this other sense that in the future may be 30x trailer bodies that are of course cab-less and self powered and covered with solar PV and will convoy and may even self load and unload but that on their undercarriage can drop down a set of rail-road trucks and seamlessly glide along on rail as needed. Wonder if these things will charge as they glide along on freeways with hidden inductive lines (if those can be made safe and efficient.) These things would never cease moving except for maintenance which would be automated. The would also be able to go through Boring company tunnels. Wonder if they could even run on rails sunk into freeways. You could build these things with the basic structure to run 100 million miles or more especially on rails- 30years of constant life or more.

They could self load onto ships or they could have their box craned off and the drive platform would drive some meters over to the incoming ship for a new box. Stacking mounts would prevent damage to the PV. If they just drove themselves onto the ship achieving tight automated packing without waiting for cranes their battery's remaining charges could be used to help power the voyage. Boxes could be detached for air travel as well.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Please move to Tesla forum.

craze1cars and DaleL like this.
  4. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

'Please move to Tesla forum.'

We wouldn't want anything positive having to do with Tesla on the forum in plain sight- it has to be hidden away from the main forum. After all a paid utter shill keeps asking this over and over and over because it is part of the job. Oh well the shills you know by their shillery as opposed to those you don't. 'Please censor this idea.' 'Please reduce its exposure.' It might be positive for EVs and the transition away from fossil fuels so we have to hide it. Anything positive or possibly helpful having to do with the one company or organization that 10x more than any other is doing something about useless fossil fuels can't have positive exposure or related ideas discussed on a site dedicated to EVs and the transition to EVs because that might be bad for fossil fuels...

Should be a special section for shill postings where all the apparent or suspect shill postings can be transferred or copied for easy comparison and score keeping. Maybe we can have a bot that links the similarity in writing styles to other pseudonyms that have been recycled because they outlived their useful shill lives so as to have better continuity in identifying the shill doing the shilling so we know its the shill we know by their shilling as opposed to a new shill with another paymaster and a microscopically different shill angle on promoting fossil fuels.

5. Huh? Maybe you should look in the mirror...

We have forums for different car postings. General is for those that don't fit in a specific car forum. Is that too hard for you to understand? Most people on this site try to follow those guidelines and practices for the benefit of everyone. But you seem to do what you want without consideration for everyone else.

craze1cars likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

<AHEM> Please use the "Report" button to share your concern with the moderator. With the improved DOT to identify unread threads, exact placement is less of a concern ... we can find them. Remember that any reply is purely voluntary, not an obligation.

Bob Wilson

8. I was trying to appeal to the OP's sense of decency. Obviously a futile attempt...