Subwoofer installation

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by dheatherly, Nov 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

I am interested in installing a powered subwoofer to the standard radio setup. I replaced the factory speakers with these - Rockford Fosgate R165X3. Ordered from Crutchfield. Overall audio is cleaner sounding with more definition but is really lacking some bottom end. I'm wondering if sound tightening up the doors would help or if I need a sub. I've been looking at the powered ones that fit under seats - like this one - Sound Ordnance B-8PTD. Couple of questions. Has anyone done something like this? And thoughts on battery usage (it's a 125 watt amp) - will it actually register as a power suck?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

You're in the wrong forum, I believe.

4. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

This question is specifically for the Kona EV. I asked recently about installing a dash cam and got some great Kona EV specific advice. Hoping for the same here. Not just generic auto audio advice.

5. Battery usage shouldn't be a problem, the 12V accessory outlet is rated @180 W, as long as in run or utility mode the 12 v will be replenished.
    The big problem is mounting under the seats (no room) lots of wires, motors and a module under the passenger seat at least in the Ultimate model.
    The sub needs 3" height and the battery pack underneath has limited this space to less than that. It could mount it into the rear space under the false floor area with ease. Nice sub though:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VO1k86R1WQ0/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html