So what about maintenance

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Jul 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

So I always liked to maintain my old ICE cars... I used to do lots of the maintenance. As the cars got older and less moving parts the maintenance got less and less. My 2015 Leaf I barely did anything. I don't follow schedules. One thing the leaf required was to check the battery to see how it was functioning. The rest was lube this lube that a waste of my money. Change the cabin filter another waste take it out and vacuum it, that works. So Now the kona I got my 3000km check but they don't seem to want to check how the battery is holding a charge etc. The brakes aren't used so what maintenance is there. I always thought all they wanted was the money, party true I guess. They do turn around and say the warranty won't be honored.

So I guess i will do the bare minimum any thoughts out there and what has everyone else been doing..Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I do nothing. Only washed it twice in 8 months. Have to have the yearly service to maintain the warranty and they do virtually nothing as well.

kona_service _contract.jpg

4. Check fire extinguisher and first aid kit?

Kamloops_KoNa likes this.
  5. I do as much of my own maintenance on cars as possible. Our previous Prius C only had regular oil changes, and a tire change at 85K kms. The brakes were checked at that time, and the pad wear was still almost like new. And the regen on that thing was not as strong as my Kona. I expect very little maintenance again,... and no oil changes of course.

The Prius was actually a great little car. Did everything and more than I could have expected of it. And I got 60% of what I paid for it, after 5 years, when I traded it in for the Kona. Needless to say it was in excellent condition. And Consumer Reports rates the Prius C car as their #1 most reliable car, of any vehicle. So that probably helps.

Our other car is a 2018 Crosstrek, another great little car. Consumer Reports rates that one as the 4th most reliable car of all vehicles. So I have picked some good ones... They haven't rated the Kona EV yet, but I think it will be a good reliable car as well.

6. Wow that is a lot of money for not much of anything in return. Cabin pollen filters go for around $10 online and the 2 year brake fluid change is totally unnecessary and not even sanctioned by Hyundai USA as a required maintenance under severe usage. I can't imagine it would be in New Zealand either.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Source for the air filter?

9. The ebay ad is helpful in that it provides an OEM part number DHF1156( which is interestingly different from the ICE Konas) and part interchange number 97133-f2200, so you can do a little more google foo if you choose to do so. My usual go to is rockauto but it does not look like they have that filter yet. Sometimes when I am really cheap I will make cabin filters out of pleated paper furnace or foam filters. They don't need to be particularly rigid just cut to the appropriate size. I agree $25 is a bit spendy for a simple paper filter.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Did a little more searching. Wix filters actually indicates the cabin filters from 2016-2018 Hyundai Tuscon will fit in the Kona electric.
    Length: 8.897(226)*
    Width: 7.953(202)*
    Height: 1.102
    They are part number WP10265 and are available at rockauto for $11.50 in Canadian dollars.

OEM spec filter is apparently Length:8.891(226)*Width:8.031(204)*Height:1.18(30)*

electriceddy likes this.
  12. Thanks again, now just to figure out how to change it. In my old Leafs I had it down to about 15 minutes.

13. It is called out in the service schedule and I believe it to be worthwhile maintenance, which I would normally do myself. The concern is whether the technician actually carries this out correctly or just changes the fluid in the reservoir, a common fraud. Also that they are careful about not spilling fluid all over the paint in the motor compartment.

It's for fleet cars that are required to carry those items.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. apu is right , there is no reference to replacement for brake fluid (at least in the Canadian manual) even under severe usage.
    I would probably get it tested at least at the minimum every 2-3 years because of the wet environment I live in. Perhaps N.Z. is close to these same conditions and would also warrant at least testing if not replacement (cheap insurance) .

15. Had to look. The actual OEM filter is different than those measurements (See the Cabin air filter thread)
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/cabin-air-filter.6313/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  16. Thanks for the correction, I was misled by what the Wix site was providing as an OEM equivalent size. Looks like either of my two previous links reference the correct size filters.

17. You would obviously know better what's required in New Zealand. All I can say in North America a 2 year interval replacement of brake fluid is not required by Hyundai.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. robxb

robxb Active Member

2 year might be unnecessary, but a big reason to change brake fluid is because of the oxygen bubbles as well as water that may start to form in the brake lines over time. I think that's what changes it from clear to brown, possibly due to rust forming? If you see it's getting brown, instead of a very very light yellow, almost clear, then change it out.

19. robxb

robxb Active Member

I'm not sure what the rules are in NZ, but in Canada, the dealership can't tell you they won't cover things under warranty if you keep receipts and proof that you're doing your own maintenance to the car. Also, they can't force you to go with their "plan", just follow what Hyundai recommends.

That being said, anyone have any idea how to change reduction gear fluid? :p

20. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

True about the brake fluid if moisture gets in then it turns brown..

21. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member