Service for Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Ev050, Feb 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ev050

Ev050 New Member

How often do I have to service my Kona, I only have 4K miles and the dealership keeps emailing that I need to
    Service my Kona. Do I need to do tire rotation at this point? AC Filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

20191202_133111.jpg 5k service is just tire rotation.. You can do this yourself. Only thing requiring changing before 120k miles is Cabin Air Filter every 15k miles. All other maintenance items are "check" items only like brakes, fluids, suspension parts. I do that myself. I'll probably even flush the coolant at 120k mile myself.. Not going to pay the dealer $200 for something that I can do myself..

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I have 14000kms now and getting my first service next week mainly tire rotation. Like I have said before don't get the CF changed unless you can find a $10.00 one off the internet other wise $50.00. Remember folks all the cabin filter does is filter outside air nothing else. I take it out and vacuum it and blow it out it will last years.

navguy12 likes this.
  5. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Not that often. Email them back and ask them what you need done. Maybe they have you configured for an ice vehicle in their generic emails to their customers?

6. Ev050

Ev050 New Member

I already did, haven’t heard back from them. Thank you for the tip E-Shark!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ev050

Ev050 New Member

Thank you BlueKonaEV, I emailed them to ask what needs to be done and I am waiting to hear back from them. They said it was a 7 K or 7 mos whatever happens first, but no description on what needs to be done. I am curious to know what is that service. I think I am just going to call.

9. FloridaSun

I believe that the notifications are caused by your setup in Bluelink. There is a setting to set the service interval.. You can change that and then the e-mails or calls will stop. If you are in the US, you are not required to have the service done at a dealer in order to maintain your warranty unless a warranty issue can be proven to have been caused by lack of servicing. In the end, service is all about dealers making some money. In your documentation that you received with your car, it shows exactly what work is supposed to be performed at what mileage. There really isn't anything that needs to be changed until 120k miles except for the cabin air filter which takes less than 2 minutes to replace yourself and you can get a generic one for like $8 off Amazon.com. Of course, if your use pattern falls into the severe conditions pattern, there are shorter intervals for maintenance.. For normal use, coolant is the only other item to be replaced and it is scheduled past the 100k mile warranty.. Of course, if you are not a hobby mechanic, it's good to have them take a look at all the "INSPECT" items. Most of them can be done with average mechanical skills.. Look at brake pads, calipers, brake lines for any leaks etc.. I also have the AC gauge to measure the pressure of the AC system to detect any possible leaks.. Tire rotation is also fairly easy to do..

1st-KonaEV-in-FL and navguy12 like this.
  10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Side note -- when we purchased our 2020 KONA EV in December, we were told "1st Maintenance Free (included)" .. YMMV

11. FloridaSun

Well, there is no reason not to bring in the car for it.. However, the first service is tire rotation only based on the maintenance schedule..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I just did my 40K km service. I've only done 2 services so far. They mainly inspect, top up fluids, lubricate items, and rotate tires. I'm sure they might try to throw some other things in, but just go with their basic service. For your first visit just go with tire rotation, unless you wait longer like I did. Funny thing is they inspected the Air Filter and said it was fine, even after 40K km! The only other thing I did was get them to change the wipers, I like changing those yearly.

navguy12 and Ev050 like this.
  14. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Good on you! Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't know what to look for. Dealer's do have to make money, it is a business, but they do provide jobs and many of the good ones give a lot back to their communities. It's just about being smart about finding the right place, and what you let them do! If you can do it all on your own, even better!!!

15. Here in NZ a yearly "body inspection" by the dealer is required to maintain the 8-year battery warranty. It's not clear whether they would charge for this work if I asked for that alone, but it is a separate signoff to the annual/15,000km service which technically could be done by any shop with a rubber stamp. My first appointment for all of this cost only $130 because they offered to delete the cabin filter change, otherwise it would be $230.

upload_2020-2-27_13-40-10.png

16. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

17. No mention on Canadian site, but that is a bonus for the U.S. - note cabin air filter not included (at least in the details pdf)
    https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/assurance/complimentary-maintenance

18. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Had the 12 month inspection done today, along with the pump recall/TSB thing, which proved very time-consuming although the second step was not needed. My request not to have the cabin filter changed was met with surprise because they said they never do that as a matter of course. The inspection itself was $42 and revealed no problems.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

20. Try Walmart cabin filter costs $8 in New York You can replace yourself no tools needed .

21. Do they have them available for Kona EV? if not make sure its not for the ICE Kona they won't fit the EV Kona, 2019 and newer Elantra cabin filter will fit.

navguy12 likes this.
  22. Fram cabin Air filter #CA12057 made for Kona EV 2020 from Car Parts Discount cost $9.95!!!!!! Also Auto Zone sale for $18.00

navguy12 likes this.
  23. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Amazon also has them for about $8.