Scheduled Charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by wizziwig, May 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Can any of the Kona EV owners please post their experience with scheduled charging on their car? I would like to compare it to the behavior I noticed on the related Niro EV (see this thread: https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/scheduled-charging-issues.5698/).

I'm mostly interested whether the "Departure Time" setting has any effect. Either when combined with the "Off-Peak Hours" settings or stand-alone. The Niro always starts charging at the beginning of "Off-Peak Hours". It does not delay the start of charging so that charging finishes as close as possible to the departure time. When I disabled Off-Peak hours and only left departure time enabled, it once started charging close to departure but then stopped working on the next day.

Another peculiar behavior is that on my car (at least using the included 120V portable charger), it will keep the instrumentation cluster LCD behind the steering wheel illuminated the entire time it's doing a scheduled charge. The screen displays nothing except gear and mileage. I have to force it off using the Close button on remote.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Digging up an old thread again, because it seems relevant to me trying to
    search for prior experiences before posting a question.

I tried the "scheduled charging" today, with zero success. With a SOC down
    around 8% I set off-peak hours to start at 7PM and then a "departure time"
    of 01:00 the next morning, and plugged in. That should have started promptly
    at 7pm and run most of the night, given the low SOC and a modest 70%
    target charge.

By 9pm, charging had *not* started. I canceled the "departure" and it started
    charging. This is complete BS, and the UI doesn't let you completely clear
    a "departure" entry -- it insists on having at least one day set, whether it's
    enabled or not.

Has *anyone* gotten this junk working, using only the available screen
    interface in the car? [I don't do any of the "app" stuff.] What am I missing?
    Is "departure" really a predictive thing that's supposed to take nominal
    time to charge into account?

It would be simpler to be able to just say "start charging at X time" and
    be done with it.

_H*

4. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Provided it is working OK, the scheduled charging is simple to set up and use, and reliable. However, there is a long thread on speakev.com from owners whose scheduled charging didn't work. Your problem sounds like theirs. Seems all those cars affected are in AU or NZ, and Hyundai after 5 months produced a software update to correct the issue, where are you?

https://www.speakev.com/threads/scheduled-charging-not-working.138524/unread

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  5. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Alternatively, if your software is working OK, then why did you expect it would run "most of the night" when you set it/limited it to stop before/by 1am? If you didn't set a finish time prior, or at all, then the task was impossible, so was ignored until you removed the restriction.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Well, "most of the evening" would have been a more accurate timeframe
    expression. With a low SOC, a target finish time of 1AM the next day's
    morning, and off-peak hours from 7PM to noon, I expected charging to
    start promptly at 7pm and deliver what it could until 1am. It never started,
    and by 9:30 pm I gave up and disabled the schedule. *Ka-chunk*,
    the green ring came on...

I will goof with it some more as time permits, but I'm already pissed off
    by the klunkiness of the surrounding UI.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.