Scared to buy

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by viren, Apr 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. viren

viren New Member

Hello all,

Planning to join the bright side (I guess?) I drive long distances A LOT and I am wondering and afraid that it'll be a huge lifestyle change?

I currently own a hybrid and gives me around 6.0l/100km combined. I don't stress anything because oil changes are at 16k km and tank lasts a just around 4-5 days (yes I drive a lot).

I wonder if EV even makes any sense for someone like me considering I am getting *good mileage* plus considering how much I drive it'll be good to not worry about charging and range anxiety, I guess?

Plus I worry since this is a Hyundai -reliability and top it all- with this being first generation.

I rode in one and the back seats were so cramped compared to my current car.

What concerns me the most?

1. Mileage- continuously worrying about where will I charge (house doesn't have anything yet)
    2. Reliability - Hyundai ?
    3. Comfort level- I drive a lot so I prefer quiet cabin.
    4. Wind noise on highway?
    5. Winter ? from 423km posted to 330 km? - I commute between Toronto and Ottawa - that in itself will become a feat because I won't be able to do one straight trip lol -(right now I can do round trip on one tank 60$)

Should I wait a year or so before making the leap ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Yes I think I would wait IF you have good safety technology on your current hybrid. Since you drive lots, if you don't have good safety technology I would go for the Kona EV as it could save your life. Your mileage on the Kona EV will take a real hit where you live so you would need to scope out your charging stations and ensure they are going to be available. So far in BC, every time we have gone to a public charger it has always been in use. We aren't relying on the public charging so we have been able to go home and charge, but if we relied on public chargers I would be thinking we made a mistake as the infrastructure for charging seems poor. Our comfort is somewhat less than in our C-Max Energi and the Lincoln MKC we traded in. I don't think you have to worry about Hyundai reliability as the Kona EV seems very well made. Cabin noise is similar to the C-Max and the MKC. I really miss a wider door entry opening to get in and out as we had in the C-Max and the button to automatically open the rear hatch and the kick to open the hatch. I have much less cargo space as I carry two dog crates all the time. My husband just chimed in after I read your post, and he says stick with your hybrid. He says he wouldn't want to have to be worrying about finding an available charge station with the amount of driving you do. At this time in Canadian infrastructure for EV's, he feels Plug In Hybrid is the best bet. Kona Ev is fine for shorter range commuters with a charger at home. The Kona EV is a very nice small car with lots of pep, good turning radius, excellent safety technology, but it is small if you are spoiled by driving something bigger. Your commute in the winter may make it too worrisome imo. Good luck deciding. Hopefully some cold weather owners who do long commutes will jump in about charging stations in Ontario.

SkookumPete likes this.
  4. Birkir

Birkir New Member

1. You will need to have a house charger set up.
    2. Yes. Reliable.
    3. Comfortable. But just like other EVs, often too quiet that lower sounds you didn't know existed start to annoy you.
    4. Not much more than other cars. Kona is noisy on slower speeds because of tires and lack of body panel sound proofing (both can be fixed)
    5. You will never get between Toronto and Ottawa in one stretch with any EV currently available. You will need at least 650km for reliable 450km winter range.

However, if you are okay with taking 30 minute charging break (or two 15 min), each way, you are good to go with the Kona. Most people are okay with this, they use the time to shove a burger in face, use the bathroom and so on.

Hope this helps.

electriceddy and NeilBlanchard like this.
  5. viren

viren New Member

Thanks for your response.

I just read winter driving posts by other EV owners on tesla and other forums and it can get reduced by as much as 40% ? that's astonishing. My hybrid went from 6.0 to 6.5l/100km in winter. -30C and where I live -we get a lot of snow.

From what it seems- EV may never be good for Canada unless people have fast chargers in their houses or a full fledged public charging infrastructure is in place.

CJC likes this.
  6. I disagree, the trip between Toronto and Ottawa has MANY Tesla superchargers:
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/78806
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/156407
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/60774
    to name a few.
    Maybe for Kona less choices(slightly more time delay) but Tesla should be easy.
    I wish we had that kind of infrastructure here, (getting there slowly)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 1. Not sure about the winter but I can rely on 300 km without getting under 25% charge in 20-30°C. Speed is a range killer those, I stay under 100 km/h, pls advise. Home charging is a non-issue, you will install a level 2 for 32 amps at 240V for any EV.
    2. The engineering that's present is very good despite build materials being a little on the cheap side.
    3. It's quiet if the road surface is smooth. My area has cheap, coarse chipseal and it can be noisy.
    4. No worse than any other car, perhaps better.
    5. Hmm, 351 kms? Might be pushing it in winter. Tesla model 3 long range?

electriceddy likes this.
  9. You've drafted a strong case for not getting a Kona EV with literally no factors in favour of it so your path is clear. Your routine does not support the choice of any current EV. But you can certainly improve on your hybrid milage. Why not trade in for a better hybrid or plug-in hybrid? An Ionic Hybrid or Prius Prime should net you better than 6 or 6.5 on those long road trips.

10. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Toronto to Ottawa (440km) in -25C weather?
    Perhaps in a Long Range Tesla (~500km summer/EPA range) with all their charging stations.
    But as well as the 40-50% range reduction, apparently charging times increase dramatically in cold weather.
    I wouldn't do it in anything with less range.

I'm worried about the ~225 km drive from Toronto to Huntsville in the winter.
    A charging stop somewhere around Barrie will be required on cold days as we don't want to spend the $$ on a long range Tesla.
    We plan to go electric, but will not be using it for any longer trips in the depths of winter.
    A rental will be required for those. Until then our 2011 Cruse Eco is still giving us 6 L/100km summer, 6.7 winter.

11. I drove mine over 240km highway speeds in the minus 20 weather in February and had 80 kms left. Huntsville shouldn't be a problem for you.

eastpole and brulaz like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

That's impressive. Only 1/4 range reduction. I've been assuming 1/3 to 1/2.
    Did you stop at all w/o plugins, allowing the car to cool-off much?
    Were you comfortably warm in the cabin?

14. 21°C cabin, seat heaters. 120 km + one way, 2 hours parked in cold, return same settings and distance. No troubles.

SkookumPete, electriceddy and brulaz like this.
  15. viren

viren New Member

WOW - thanks a lot everyone for posting. You all are awesome! No one here shoved "EV superiority" (yeah I've faced that) in my face and were genuinely helpful.

I feel like we are also at a point where this will only get better. I've also heard about "Next gen fuel cell" coming and "hydrogen" related something coming too.

We live in good times eh lol

Once again thanks a lot.

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.