Runnign a 120 volt inverter in the utility mode.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Fastnf, Oct 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Does any one know what the output of the DC to DC converter is (watts or amps)?
    I would like to hook up a 12 volt inverter to the battery in the utility mode for 120 volt power. Either for camping or for emergency power.

I have seen some details on the web that its between 1500-2500 watts but nothing specific.
    I would prefer not to be blowing fuses on the car in an effort to find the optimal output.
    Also does the DC to DC converter have any surge capacity before it starts popping fuses.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

A few months back, I had no problem running a 12VDC->120VAC that powered an electric cooler while camping for 2 days. I'm not sure of the total wattage available.

4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

The power outlet cover says "180W" on it, and it's fused at 20A.

_H*

5. Were you running an attached inverter off the 12 V battery or using the 180 W 12 V accessory outlet ?

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I ran the inverter off the 12V accessory outlet under the console while the Kona was in utility mode.

electriceddy likes this.
  8. Here is a link to a reddit discussion where the individual ran a 1500 watt inverter connected directly to the Kona Electrics auxiliary battery terminals. In utility Mode the inverter was capable of putting out 1700 watts for 10 minutes at which point it blew the ANL fuse. Replacing the fuse he ran it at 1300 watts with no drop in voltage of the auxiliary battery. In fact at that point the auxiliary battery was being charged by the main battery at 14.6 volt. Above the 1500 watts the voltage dropped to 12.9. I am curious as whether the battery voltage drop was caused by the inverter operating above it rated efficiency or because the Kona DC to DC converter maxes out at 1500 watts. Guess I will have to get a 3000w inverter and see for myself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KonaEV/comments/ca2pu7/power_capacity_of_the_konas_12v_dc_system/eth65nb/

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Thanks for that link, looks like <1500 W max (1.3 kW preferred) at least with that equipment:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/KonaEV/comments/ca2pu7/power_capacity_of_the_konas_12v_dc_system/f1amcx2/
    A 3 kw inverter would be more than adequate for supplying a <1500 W continuous load , let us know your results... would be sufficient for my needs.:D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019