Read this review PLS follow the link..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Sep 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

The link didn't work here it is anyways

Well my Kona is 1 year old in 4 days and I thought I would put down my thoughts on its performance and costs etc. (Have a long week next week over 2k miles so doing it now before I forget)

Kona Premium SE in Acid Yellow purchased 1st Week Sept 2018
    On the road it was £32360 after govt grant of £4500, this is the most we have ever spent on a car, and is our 4th EV

2015 we had a BMW i3 Rex
    2016 we had a BMW i3 BEV
    2017 we had a Renault Zoe 41kwh
    2018 we have the Kona 64kw

Yes we do huge miles per year so moving up to bigger battery cars each year has been a huge help

This year the car has been on the road for just under 11 months (no issues with the car we were away for 5 weeks or we would have hit our normal 50k miles in the year)

As this is probably the highest mileage Kona at the moment figured would be good to review its performance.

It a word it’s been Stellar.

Apart from 4 visits to the dealer for standard service (which I feel is excessive) it’s not needed anything and just had a couple of software updates and the charge flap recall while being serviced

10k miles it had a visual inspection service
    20k miles brake fluid and pollen filter change plus tyre rotation
    30k miles visual inspection
    40k miles brake fluid and pollen filter change plus tyre rotation

At 44k miles it’s still on the original factory Nexens but they are going to be replaced soon as they are down to about 2.5mm all round. No issues or punctures

Interior, this was one of my concerns would the cheap interior hold up, It’s been brilliant no scratches and the leather seats are not showing any sagging etc, All in all its been much better than anything else I have had in recent years

Battery, I always seem to be able to tease good economy out of cars and that’s no different with the Kona, it’s 270 Miles in the Winter and 300 in the Summer that’s not decreased and there is no sign of battery degradation etc.

We charge it had it’s on a rapid most days if not multiple times a day and tends to be run from 100% to 10% and back on cycle, no issues or problems

Exterior
    Paint has held up really well, a few minor stone chips on bumper but no scrapes or battle damage which considering it spends a lot of time in central London is amazing

We were going to trade it in as usual at one year, but there is nothing there to go onto (we did finally decide on a model 3 but seeing paint and trim issues we backed out) also we could only really afford the smaller battery one so that would have been a decent range cut from the Kona, so it looks like we will keep it another year and run it to 100k miles unless anything catches out eye in the mean time

How would we describe it..
    The Kona is a great car (not just a great EV but a genuinely great car), it’s just a bit boring coming from other Evs that had quirks, the Kona is just not Quirky…. It’s does not make me smile when I get in it like my i3 did, it’s just a reliable daily driver.

It has a few annoyances like the buttons that don’t stay set, autohold etc. But they are so minor compared to its good points they are easy to forgive.

Costs and savings

Well 44k miles in fuel is a massive saving
    Over 100 days free parking in central London at £60 a day is a massive saving
    Over 100 days London congestion charge at £11.50 a day is a massive saving

But the biggest saving so far has been the low depreciation, we could have sold it/traded it in for just over £3000 less than we bought it for, which is just insanely low, image trying that on a conventional fuelled car…

So we will see how it goes for year 2. Depreciation will no doubt shoot up as much higher miles will frighten a lot of buyers used to high mileage ICE issues, but running costs saving will balance that out, and the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty should help..

So far it’s been a blast. Not the quirky smiley face blast that the i3 was but a blast none the less.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Was this the link?
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/1-year-in-44k-miles-71k-km’s-how’s-the-kona-holding-up.143157/
    BTW thanks for the positive report

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

yes but it didn't work for me The review was from a person in Ireland very positive

electriceddy likes this.