Rant: First Dealer Visit - 5 Hours Wasted

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Feb 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. First time in a dealer to try to resolve some issues with my new (1001 miles) Kona EV. It took 5 1/2 hours, between the 45 minute drive each way and waiting for the work to be done.

There were (and still are) four problems:

1. 12v battery went dead one morning. Huyndai Roadside Assistance came and jumped it.

2. Like many others, my car's headlights were delivered aimed pretty much dead level. I lowered them three turns counterclockwise, following this thread. Since I was going into the dealer, I figured I'd get them to check my work, so before going in I backed off two turns.

3. One day last week the outside door buttons only worked intermittently with the Smart Key. They were fine today but without much hope I brought in both fobs and asked them to try to reproduce the problem.

4. A couple of times, the automatic systems have jammed on the brakes when they didn't need to. I had little hope they could find a problem, but thought I'd get it documented in the service record for the eventual lawsuit when they cause an accident.

The tech's answers:

1. The battery is fine and there are no error codes. Bring it in if it happens again. (And you'll do what that you didn't do this time? Meanwhile I bought a compact 12v jump start pack.)
    2. The headlights are aimed just right (!!!). If you lower them any further, you won't be able to see. (I had them three times as low and saw just fine.)
    3. The door buttons worked fine.
    4. I took it for a test drive and there were no problems. (I had told them not to bother, just note the issue.)

And they didn't even wash the car!

To be fair, the dealership was comfortable, the service adviser courteous and efficient, and they have an incredible coffee drinks machine. I have wasted more times in worse places.

P.S.: If you want to respond to any of the Kona issues, please follow the links above and post in the appropriate thread.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

This seems to be a not-uncommon issue, several people have reported it but no obvious cause or mitigation has been found. Best advice is to carry a lithium jump-start pack.
    If the smart key is next to a lot of other metal in your pocket, e.g. a keytag or surrounded by other keys, this can stop it receiving the signal from the - I've had this a couple of times.

Toolworker likes this.