Question: Is the High voltage battery under the vehicle, or under the seat as many videos have said.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Teslawannabe, Jul 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I have been to my local Honda dealer to check for recalls on my newly purchased used Clarity. The advisor told me the battery was inside the car under the seat and the whole interior has to be removed when servicing it. When viewing a Clarity battery pack and it's disassembly on Youtube it looks like it has to be under the vehicle, not inside. I came across a reference on the Honda web site referring to the battery pack as being water resistant ? I live in Florida where torrential rain fall happen almost ever day in the summer. The streets may be awash at any moment. Oh boy, the thoughts of electrical problems caused by water intrusion. Hoping Hondas good reputation equals good engineering. Sorry for the rant. New owner here, lol.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Teslawannabe

Link below shows the internals from a different perspective.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/260223-2018-honda-clarity-review-midsize-plug-hybrid-car

Hope this helps.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but that sounds suspiciously like dealer bull#*&@ or totally uninformed speculation. There was a post of a Clarity getting its battery removed that showed the special battery lift that is required to remove the battery from the bottom. It said they put yellow and black safety tape around that bay and don’t let any non trained tech close when working on the battery. It said nothing about removing any interior parts. To me that is strong evidence that battery service is from below and not from above. And I can’t see Honda engineers and lawyers placing the battery in the cabin without a lot of protective panels instead of going below and using already existing body panels/structures to separate it from the occupants while saving weight. After all, the Clarity is a fresh design and not a compromise shoehorned into an existing model.

Not 100% sure on this, but would be willing to make a moderate wager that the HV battery is serviced from below.

That battery pack has to be impervious to splashing water and wind driven water up to its max speed or Honda would go bankrupt with repairs and lawsuits. However, as with any car, I would not drive it through standing water high enough to be unsafe or high enough to immerse the bottom of the car and the low mounted battery pack. I’ve been in two torrential rains that caused flash flood warnings and had no trouble other than a lot of water dripping off in the garage. No problem, since I run a humidifier in the garage to protect my tools from rust.

Bottom line: I’m driving confidently into a very economical, efficient, and comfortable future. However, I did buy the 8 yr warranty since I have little hope that the dealers will ever be up to speed on repairs.

Edit: I found some sources saying the battery is under the floor and as low as it can be and is mostly between the wheel base. You will however notice twin “bumps” directly in front of the front seats that are for the battery pack. These are the raised areas that the WeatherTech mats don’t cover. This low placement gives us an extremely low center of gravity and very little body roll.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    2002 likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda requires their dealers to purchase an expensive lift to lower and raise the heavy HV battery when the Clarity is on a lift. I don't know if parts of the interior need to be removed to access the bolts that anchor the battery to the underside of the chassis, but it would be inconvenient to access any such bolts if the car was on a lift.

You can see from this photo that the Clarity PHEV's battery isn't a body-raising slab like most electric cars use. Honda created battery lumps under the front seats, a lumpy spine between the front and rear seats, and a big lump under the rear seat. There don't appear to be any battery cells where the outside rear-seat passengers place their feet.

[​IMG]

To paraphrase baseball Hall-of-Famer Wee Willie Keeler from the 1890s, "hide 'em where they ain't."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    2002, KentuckyKen and Teslawannabe like this.
  6. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

K8QM

Good post. Thanks

Teslawannabe likes this.
  9. Teslawannabe

Thank you all for responding. The battery has what looks to be a plastic top with an o-ring seal. I think the photos are just a cutaway view and the battery must be under the vehicle (but at the same time it is under the seats in the photos.). I don't see this awkward/large component coming out the door or trunk (trunk has small pass thru, the advisor may have confused this model with the insite/accord hybrid with the small battery?) clarity battery 1..jpg You can see the complete battery inside and out on youtube ( 2018 Honda Clarity hybrid lithium ion battery disassemble Part 1/2).

10. Teslawannabe

They did stuff a lot of battery and have it not obstruct any serious trunk or interior space. Well done.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It would be tough to confuse the 2019 Insight's battery with a Clarity PHEV battery. This photo from Indiana shows the Insight's battery being moved into position under where the rear seat will go.

upload_2019-7-24_13-7-4.png

And here's the battery I just took out of my 2006 Insight. Don't try this at home with a Clarity PHEV battery.

upload_2019-7-24_13-9-59.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Teslawannabe

I'm hearing what you are saying :). You will not see me trying to do this at home, lol. clarity battery inside.jpg