Potential Charging anomalies on CERTAIN chargers since update??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

On my 3rd charge after my BMS update, I ran into an issue with a 50kw charger which I attributed to the charger itself and not my car.. What happened was that on a particular charger model, I would only receive 32kw on a charger that I used to get 44 to 48kw before the BMS update.. I thought that there was a problem with the charger as on other 50kw chargers, the car would charge at the normal rate. So, today, I saw a post on Speakev that showed someone in the UK having the same issue on CERTAIN chargers but no issues on other.. They got exactly the same 32kw on a 50kw charger that they used to get full speed before.. This seems to be more than a coincidence.. It almost appears that the car is only asking for 32kw on certain 50kw chargers.. Temperature don't seem to be a factor as the person in the UK that had the same issue was charging in a fairly moderate temperature (21 C/ 70 F or so) while I was charging in 90F/32C. So, it appears that there may be some issues with certain chargers after the BMS update.. I will actually take my wife's BMW i3 to the same charger that only gives my Kona 32 kw to see if it gets full speed.. If it does, there is an issue caused by the software update. If this is the case, this will need to be brought to Hyundai's attention..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    ehatch likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

It could also be temperature, state if charge or a number of any other factors.

4. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Get a DTC scan.Mine was ,and I needed the EPCU replaced.My CCS issues appeared before my BMS update: certain chargers the CCS wouldn't work,but a Focus could charge;range reduced about 100km/62miles.It seems like Kona electrics have a DCFC issue, EA we can't maintain 70kW,but pay that rate.

5. FloridaSun

I doubt it as the gentleman in the UK was charging at around 21C (70 F) and I was charging at 32C (90 F).
    I don't think that it was a coincidence that we charged exactly at the same slow rate only on specific chargers...
    As I said, I will take my wife's BMW i3 to the same charger to see if her car experiences the same issue.. If her i3 only gets 32kw too, then the problem is definitely at the charger.. If she gets full speed, I may bring both cars at the same time to the charger and make a video showing how her car will pull 44+ kw an mine pulling 32kw on the same charger on which I used to get 44kw to 48kw before the update in the same temperature.. Here in Florida, temperature in summer varies little... around 80 F (26C) at night and 90 - 95 F (32 -35 C) during the day... We got that temperature from June to September.. The only time it cools down cooler than that is during thunderstorms and we got plenty of those..

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

For EA, they have a Hyundai specific plan.

ehatch likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

My car worked fine on all working chargers.. I did have problems at chargers where others had reported problems on plugshare, so it's likely not my car that caused the problems.. Since the Update, I noticed issues on 2 particular chargers that used to work flawless before the update.
    I do A LOT of fast charging.. All other chargers except for those 2 (at the same location) work without issues. So far, the issues seem to happen only with one particular brand/model charger.. I will have to look up the model information whenever I'll charge there again.

ehatch likes this.
  9. FloridaSun

BTW, one charger that ALWAYS works FLAWLESS is a EFACEC QC45 50kw charger.. I usually start out at 45kw and it hits 49kw just before it drops to 35 - 38kw... Also, no issues on Veefil TRi93-50-01-US charger.. Worked flawless

10. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I just got this email from Electrify America... "Make sure you’re in the driver's seat when it comes to your Electrify America Pass+ membership. Monthly fees have been waived for Electrify America Pass+ members since March 25, 2020, and they will be reinstated starting September 8, 2020. "

11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

You are better off getting the Hyundai plan than the America Pass+ plan for now to avoid getting charged the higher rates anyway.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

We have the Hyundai Kona plan. The note said we can keep the .35 per min but will need to start paying the $4 per month that we didn't have to pay on the plan

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I have not received any such communication and it was quite clear the fees were waived through the end of the year when I signed up unless the plan changes, possibly to a pay buy power plan.

15. FloridaSun

So, yesterday, I went back to one of the chargers I had an issue with. It's one of 2 chargers of the same brand and type at one location. I did not attempt to charge on the one that gave me 32kw but instead, I charged on the other one at the same location that used to give me a different issue.. That charger would charge normally but after 20 minutes or so of charging, charging rate would drop to 20kw and stay there.. If I would stop the session and re-initialize the session, it would work for a few minutes normally and then drop again to 20kw. Sometimes, I had to re-initialize the session 3 - 4 times to complete my charge..
    Last evening, I went there to get a charge at that unit and the charger worked without issues. Not sure if someone fixed the charger of if this was due to the lower temperature.. When I charged there before, it was usually mid day at 95F (34C) with the charger being directly exposed to the sun.. Yesterday, I charged at 8 PM and temperature was a comfortable 82F (27C). So, the issue may have been caused by the charger overheating??? Not sure but the good thing is that it is working fine, at least in the evening in cooler temperature.. Next time, I will try the other charger that was charging at only 32kw to see if that one also works correctly in cooler temperatures.

16. FloridaSun

UPDATE.. Charged my wife's BMW i3 this morning on the charger that used to only give me 32kwh and I got the same issue with that charger, so it's NOT a problem with the Kona.. Glad to know that it's not an issue with my car.