Phony service call

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by SkookumPete, Jul 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I've read that dealers will call in EVs for unnecessary service rather than give up revenues. This morning it happened to me. After less than 6 mo. and 9,000 km, I was advised that service was "factory recommended but not mandatory". Yet the schedule in the manual shows nothing needs to be done for the first year or 24,000 km, other than tire rotation every 8,000 km (the dealership said only that they would "look at" the tires). The dealer made freedom from frequent service a selling point, so it seems a bit dishonest.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Which dealer?
    Maybe triggered by service interval button in car or Bluelink?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. I am curious what possible service the dealer thought was is "factory recommended" after 6 months. Next time they call just tell them thanks but you did all off your own recommended services(visual inspections I suspect for the most part). In the past 15 years we have had 3 new cars an Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic and CRV and the only time I ever visited the dealer was for a warranty repair on the Elantra's windshield nozzle, otherwise I do all of my own "recommended services". If one can't or does not want to do the required services find a trusted mechanic it will be way cheaper.

5. I actually got an email that said that a 6-month inspection will be scheduled automatically. And then I got a phonecall from the dealer that they scheduled it on July 19 for me and if that date would work for me. I told them that they are more than 400 miles away from where I live. And that it's not feasible for me to use them for my service.

So they put a note into my file.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6. They tried this with me too. Ignore them.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Actually it was kind of funny; when I was in getting my tires swapped after winter the Service Manager started idly chatting with me while I was waiting. He was bemoaning the lack of maintenance needed on the electric cars and asked me what I thought of the garage "coming up" with a maintenance schedule for the Kona that would bring us in more often "you know, for about a hundred bucks" a shot. Just to "check on a few things". I just smiled stupidly all the while thinking that he was basically asking me how I felt about maybe being screwed over a hundred bucks at a time! Good times.

BC-Doc, Jared Potter and Esprit1st like this.
  9. Haha, at least he asked for your approval to be screwed over. That's kind of nice actually.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. WMA

WMA New Member

The first service after 6 months is free from my dealership. You may want to confirm with our dealership if that is also the case. They want to check out everything is working properly after it has been driven for a while.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Dealership just wants to make sure that the blinker fluid was replaced.. :)

[​IMG]

BC-Doc, SkookumPete, R P and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Where is your dealership be located ?

14. WMA

WMA New Member

Boundary Hyundai in Vancouver

electriceddy likes this.
  15. I will wait till the time comes and see what my dealer charges (if any), so far they have been excellent :
    https://www.wheatonhyundai.ca/team/

16. rhinogator

rhinogator New Member

same dealership. can confirmed that they scheduled a free 6 month service.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Mine wants $42 for a look, and another $36 for tire rotation. I've booked for the latter (@10,000 km). I figure they can get a good look at the car while doing that.

I also gave them feedback about the badly obsolete map data for our area, and suggested they pass on that info to corporate. The idea baffled them.

18. Which dealer SkookumPete?