Outdated tech we still use today

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jim, Jul 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jim

jim Active Member

I was just reading that many people still use dial up for internet access. Some areas still use beeper service instead of cell phones. This got me thinking about other outadated things we do.

A gas car as many know has a motor with over 2,000 moving ,rubbing, wearing parts that can fail. The internal friction and design make them only 20-25% efficient. A Diesel is not much better at only 40% efficient with just as many parts. They both burn fuel that makes tons of deadly pollution. How embarrassing. An Electric Motor is 80 to over 120% efficient . It has very few parts, in FACT only 2 moving parts rotor and stator. It's a world of difference.

We buy power from a central utility. They burn things to boil water and make AC Electricity. Today we can easily make our own with Solar panels and sell the extra to them. I've been doing this since 2001.

What are other outdated things we do each day?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I still write with a pen and ride a bicycle.

jim likes this.
  4. jim

jim Active Member

A bicycle is super efficient and very high tech. Some today have tires with no air like my folding Citizenbike . Some also have carbon fiber frames to be light and strong. So I also ride a bicycle, I carry one in the back of my Chevy Spark EV as a range extender with unlimited range and speed, my limits only.

5. dborn

dborn New Member

We still pay for things with rectangular pieces of paper and stamped metallic round disks although it is quickly on its way out :)

6. Rohan Shah

Rohan Shah New Member

In India, still more than 200 million people plough the land and harvest the corn and wheat with bare hands on their tiny 1 acre farms. Most of the grains and other stuff are transported in 50 kg bags and all factories use manual labour to load and unload the goods. Many many people wash their clothes with hands like more than 500 million. Many people walk and use bicycles. And then all cars are petrol or diesel powered as not many people can afford electric cars. Accounting is still done on paper books. All dishes and utensils (made of steel) are washed by hands everyday (everyone uses only steel dishes and utensils).

It's a world of difference.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. We still have one of these. It works when there is a power outage. The other phones in the house do not.
    [​IMG]