Optimal Charge Range 20-80% ???

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mdsweb, Feb 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mdsweb

Mdsweb Member

I’ve been trying to work out the optimal charge range of the Kona EV that will increase the number of charge cycles and therefore prolong the life of the battery. I’ve found various sites that seem to agree the best range is short charges between 20-80%. Also avoid always topping up to 100% and using too many rapid charging (level 3).

If you have a few minutes this article does a really nice job at trying to figure out the mystery. It all comes down to how much reserve Hyundai is buffering at both extremes. They may be already “virtually” saving the battery for us - but this information is not made public.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/26/the-secret-life-of-an-ev-battery/

Aaron Cruikshank likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can't comment YET on Kona/LG ( different chemistry), but my experience with Leaf 24kWh and 30kWh (started driving EV in 2013) is charge what you need (range requirements) without concern when temperatures are below 60c, the heat builds up quickly when temps are 70c+ when DCFC, avoid high pack temps 90c and above( Kona tms should kick in) I try to keep 25% as a low state of charge as a minimum and preferably 80 to 90% max

mho likes this.
  4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

What I understand is never charge if the battery is above 80% .Say its at 70% then I was under the impression that it's all right to charge to 100% doesn't the charging rate decrease as it reaches 100% So many thoughts on this subject.

5. I don't get my Kona EV until the end of the month but the dealer told me not to charge over 80%. There are going to be times when I have to drive longer distances and use a level 3 charger along the way when I am going to top it up to 100% to make sure I don't have a stroke worrying about the range. lol. But for daily driving in-town, probably gonna try to keep it at a max of 80%. My understanding is if you do this, it can triple the effective charge cycles on the battery (3,000 cycles vs 1,000 cycles if you always go up to 100%).

My question is - the dealer talks about the "battery guarantee" on the car which he says is up to 160,000 km (seems fishy to me) but if there is such a warranty - would they replace the batteries when they get degraded from charging up too fast or too full too often? I haven't seen the paperwork on the warranty yet. Anyone else read the fine print on the battery warranty?

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I'm getting my Kona this Thursday and Will have to adapt to the charging .With my leaf 30w I had to charge it to the max. Needed the Kms With the Kona I won't for daily use. The battery warranty is another question what it says in The legal stuff is what I want to know not the dealers opinion..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Please update us if you get a look at the legal-ese. :)