NY State Inspection

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JedK, Sep 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JedK

JedK Member

EV car inspections are kind of bogus at this point. My guess is we'll have to pay the full price to make sure we're generating low emissions and all that. I do have a standard inspection sticker on the windshield. It will be interesting to see how this all goes. Unless I'm wrong about all this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that we don't have any inspections here in Florida....

Joev likes this.
  4. No inspection for EVs here in Nevada, I just drove up, they scanned the VIN, gave me the paper that I have to drop off at the DMV for registration and done. No money transaction involved.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. Pretty straight forward in CT...

The State of Connecticut requires emissions testing every two years on all vehicles except:

2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 model year vehicles;
    Model year 1994 and older vehicles;
    Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more;
    Composite Vehicles (vehicle must be titled as a composite vehicle);
    Full electric-powered (non-hybrid);
    Bicycles with motors attached;
    Motorcycles;
    Certain vehicles registered but not designed primarily for highway use;
    Farm vehicles;
    Diesel – Powered Type II School Buses” (under 10,000 lbs GVWR)
    Vehicles with Dealer, Repairer, or Transporter Plates (only for the purpose of transportation during wholesale or auction).

6. JedK

JedK Member

There was a time that inspections made sense. I remember the days when cars would spew black smoke out of their tailpipes. I think those days are pretty much gone, but we're all still required to get inspections. Seems like it's just a moneymaker for the state so they're not in any rush to get rid of the requirement. Not even for people with EVs.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NYS annual inspection only requires a safety inspection, tires, brakes, lights and so on. No emission.
    $10

9. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

MA annual inspection covers safety inspection too. I believe emissions tests are only every other year on cars of a certain age. Either way, it's still the full $35 for just the safety inspection.

10. Of course I meant the NYS safety inspection is for EV's, ICE vehicles also require emissions testing (for vehicles up to 25 years old, no emissions test after that, go figure). Price for safety is $10, emissions is $27.