Navigation software update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bill Carter, Mar 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Can someone explain where the onboard navigation SD card is installed? Apparently an update will be available late in March (still nothing available so far for my 2020 according to Hyundai USA Mapcare.) I'm curious to know where to find the current SD card. Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks SkookumPete. After reading the thread, nothing seems clear at this point. It would be helpful to get an advisory directly from Hyundai. They have my VIN and contact info.

4. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

It looks like the SD card's in the same spot. Where I placed an arrow,it's right below the infotainment screen on the unit itself. Marked SD card,very faintly.
    B97943737Z.1_20190823081422_000G4GP3M2F.1-1_original.jpg

5. ehatch, thanks for going to the trouble of preparing an image. Do you perhaps have a 2019 Kona? Mine's a 2020, and I don't see a card slot in that location, nor anywhere else on the infotainment screen itself.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

There is NO SD Card in the 2020 .. I've had the same concern and brought it to the attention of the Sales guy - who originally told me "there is an SD Card to be able to update Maps when he updates become available". When I asked him to show me WHERE the SD CARD slot was, after some feeling around the LCD Screen, he said "Oh, I guess they no longer provide that."

I am/was HOPING that MAP Updates would SOME HOW be able to be done using the USB ... but have yet to see the scheduled UPDATE & PROCEDURE on their Web Site. If we have to ALWAYS take this into the DEALER to get MAP UPDATES, I will not be a happy owner.

ehatch likes this.
  8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I was skeptical when I tried looking for the 2020 infotainment,and found that one. Automotive reviews are recycling 2019 photos for 2020. Like others,I am curious if the updating will become cleaner. I have had issues with the VERY slow download on the Map site. Intrigued how a blank SD was usable,and straight forward from the other member. "Current" update is missing a 3 year old businesses I was looking for. @Tim94549 I hope it's OTA going forward since there's an LTE connection for the Bluelink services. I accidentally set off the SOS,and was able to end that call. Interestingly , no one contacted me back over Bluelink to check if it was an emergency. OnStar I think did that .
    Speaking of navigation,on our mirrors, there's an icon that looks like LKA . I recently discovered it is quite accurate doing voice searches for routing. Steering wheel was inaccurate.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  9. Tim94549, I too had the thought that perhaps the nav update for the 2020 will be via the USB port adjacent to the wireless charging pad. We'll have to wait until Hyundai announces the new update, supposedly coming up shortly, and see it they provide clear steps to make it happen. Thanks again for your comment.

10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

@ehatch, the issue (for me) with the idea that "OTA via BlueLink" is fine for the 1st 3 years of Included BlueLink Subscription. However, I don't plan to keep BlueLink after the 3 years - for ME it's just too darn expensive (and BUGGY APP) for features I need. $30/month ... So was/am hoping there is a method to download & manually install MAP updates. We'll have to see how that's delivered in a couple of weeks.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Today's message on the Hyundai USA Mapcare site:
    DUE TO THE CURRENT COVID-19 OUTBREAK, PROCESSING OF MAP UPDATE ORDERS FOR MAILING WILL BE DELAYED. OUR STAFF HAS BEEN REDUCED FOR SAFETY. WE APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THIS INCONVENIENCE. MAP VERSION 14 IS SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE NEAR THE END OF APRIL.
    Looks like no longer end of March? Release scheduled for end of April. I assume that means both mailed orders and direct downloads. Wait and see.