Mock radiator

Discussion in 'I-Pace' started by bwilson4web, Nov 24, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I recently became aware of the I-Pace hood air-vent:
    [​IMG]
    The air inlet on the hood that takes air from behind the mock radiator grill and vents it out the top:
    [​IMG]
    An ordinary car throws about 1/3d of gas energy out the tail pipe and 1/3d out the radiator. Radiator drag is a major part of the vehicle aerodynamic loss.

In contrast, a designed EV doesn't put a high drag, mock radiator on the front of the car:
    [​IMG]
    There is a small, chin radiator, mounted low to take care of air conditioner, battery, electronics, and motor heat. The vast majority of the air flows around the car instead being trapped in an engine radiator ... a type of parachute.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Many cars have grilles which are mostly or even entirely ornamental rather than functional, but this is the first time I've encountered the term "mock radiator". I think it's rather misleading; there's nothing on the car pretending to be a radiator.

4. bwilson4web

• Drag catcher
    • Faux grill
    • Eye candy
    • Foolishness
    Bob Wilson

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Not at all to contradict anything you've said about the problem with increased aero drag from a faux grille, Bob, but I found it interesting that Bollinger claims that allowing air to pass thru a couple of front grilles (behind the headlights, oddly enough) and venting out more horizontal grilles on the top front of the truck, next to the hood, yield a reduction in aero drag for the B1. I don't know how much reduction they actually achieve with that, if any, but that's what they're claiming.

[​IMG]

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Yeah, Bollinger claiming that the pass-thru vents in front cut down on drag reminds me of the joke about the person who orders a hot fudge sundae... and a Diet Coke to cut down on calories! ;)

If Bollinger wanted to reduce aero drag, they could start by putting a curved windshield on the truck. I'd say the days of flat windshields died with the Model A Ford.