Minimum LKAS speed / dispute with Honda (Canada)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Solf, Oct 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:

At what speed LKAS can become active on your Honda Clarity PHEV?

1. Just above 60 kph

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. At 70+ kph

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Solf

Solf New Member

Hi,

I'm currently in a dispute with the dealership / Honda Canada about an unauthorized change that was done to my Honda Clarity PHEV. And I could use community help in gathering some information. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Short-er version: I have two questions about Honda Clarity PHEV behavior (ideally Canada version):
    1. Does LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist) engage for you above 60 kph? Or does it require 70+ kph?
    2. If you do the following:
      1. Put the car in 'drive'
      2. Enable 'Brake Hold' feature
      3. Start driving and activate ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), set it to any speed.
      4. Stop the car by applying brake pedal until brake hold engages (this deactivates ACC).
      5. With no car (or anything else) in front of your car -- repeatedly click RES+ button.
      6. Does your car stays stationary (while adjusting ACC set speed)? Or does it start moving? I've put together a video that may help explain what I'm looking for here:

Long-er version:

I have bought my Honda Clarity PHEV back in May in Canada (New Brunswick). I am quite happy with the car although it does have some issues.

In August I had to bring the car to the dealer for a windshield replacement (due to a rock strike). This meant that they had to re-calibrate the windshield camera that is used for LKAS (and possibly other things).

Unfortunately after this the car started behaving differently (became 'worse' for my purposes), specifically two things that I've noticed are:
    1. Prior to windshield replacement/re-calibration I could use LKAS at speeds just above 60 kph. Now it only engages at 70+ kph.
    2. While the car is stationary on 'brake hold' (after stopping via brake pedal) I previously could adjust ACC set speed freely -- the car wouldn't move. It would only start moving if ACC display says 'Stopped' (such as when car is stopped by ACC itself) and I press RES+ button. Now -- as shown in the video I linked above -- when I click RES+ more than once -- the car starts moving.
    My theory is that when they connected computer (or whatever) to the car in order to do the re-calibration it has updated the car's software and/or car's settings. Possibly even without any confirmation/information prompts.

I've been talking to my Honda dealer (who did re-calibration) and Honda Canada (via the hotline). However so far they are refusing to admit that such thing is even possible.

Hence this post -- I'm hoping to find some confirmation that there are Honda Clarities out there that behave the way my car was behaving *before* the whatever change they did during the re-calibration. Hopefully that'll force them to admit that such a change is possible and maybe I'll be able to get them to revert the changes.

Thanks for reading and hoping that someone can help me! :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I will check the brake hold + Res in a couple of hours when I head out. However I see the manual comment
    You can resume the set speed after the condition that caused ACC with LSF to cancel improves. Press the RES/+ or −/SET switch up. 2 Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow (LSF) P. 400.
    That comment was on page 115 showing an image that did not include "Stopped"

As for 60kph vs 70kph and LKAS 70 is closer to spec. The manual says 45 mph (72km/h) is the resume speed. Note that 70 (64 km/h) is the drop speed.

4. jdonalds

I did the test and my Clarity behaves exactly as you said yours does. When I push the Res/+ button twice the car starts to move.

Also in my response it should say 40 mph (64 km/h). Dumb forum doesn't allow us to re-edit old posts like other forums do.

5. Solf

Solf New Member

Thanks a lot for taking the time to test this!

I know that manual says it's supposed to work at speeds over 70 kph or so (that's what Honda told me basically). However my car certainly didn't behave that way before whatever it is they did. I am very unhappy that this is the kind of stuff they do -- change the car behavior / settings without permissions and then refusing to even acknowledge that they did.

Could you also please clarify what version of Clarity do you have? Canada/US, standard/touring? When did you buy it? When was the last time that you took it to the dealer (where they could've connected it to the computer / updated it)?

If my assumption about them updating the Clarity software is correct, I'd like to try to narrow down when it might've worked the way my car originally worked.

Thanks again!

6. jdonalds

We bought our U.S. Touring model Clarity December 5th 2017. Within the first six months they had done firmware updates. No updates since then.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Solf

Solf New Member

Thanks again for the information and your time!

Hopefully some other owners will provide some more data points.

9. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

My Honda Clarity 2019 does LKAS only at 70+ kph, i'm pretty sure of that because I've done a lot of testing with LKAS.

10. Solf

Solf New Member

Thank you!

Could you please clarify what version of Clarity do you have? Canada/US, standard/touring? When did you first test LKAS and it worked at 70+ kph?

11. brad2346

brad2346 New Member

Hi,
    I have a Clarity purchased June 2019 (Canadian base model) that has always behaved the same way yours does now (LKAS above 70, car starts moving with RES +).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. dnb

dnb Active Member

For US its 40+ mph which is roughly 65+kph.

When STOPPED (sees car in front of you) I can click and HOLD the button down for it to go up by 5s. Clicking ONCE it will try to re-engage and start moving again, there is about a 2-3 second delay before the car starts to move when in stop and go traffic. I never double click it.

If you want to adjust the speed while stopped trying clicking and HOLDing so it goes up by 5(k/m?)ph instead of clicking multiple times.

Hope that helps you with your issues :)

14. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

Yes Honda Clarity 2019 Canadian version

15. Solf

Solf New Member

Thanks everyone for your input!

It does look like my Clarity was 'special' and it seems unlikely that I will be able to get it back 'as it was' :(

And yes, I am as certain as I can be that it did actually work differently before, e.g. there are some roads in our city where there's 60 kph speed limit and LKAS was able to engage there before. It never does now and there's no 70+ kph roads around here.

Similarly for Brake Hold -- I do distinctly remember being frustrated that the car wouldn't start moving after e.g. red light (when it's on brake hold after manual braking) even though I click the RES+ several times (the current behavior isn't really an improvement in my eyes because to get car to move you have to actually change pre-set speed via clicking RES+ more than once).

I do find it unacceptable that the car manufacturer can change my car's behavior without getting my permission -- or even letting me know about the fact -- I am just unsure if I'll be able to do anything about it.

16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Better not ever buy a Tesla then with its OTA updating.

17. Solf

Solf New Member

Yes, well, that's one of the reasons I didn't consider Tesla.