Lexus Plug In Hybrid?

Discussion in 'General' started by FloridaSun, Nov 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm in Maryland for an event and yesterday, at a National Harbor parking garage, I saw a Lexus in the EV charging spot. Thought that it was ICE'ing the spot but when I looked closer, it was plugged into the charger. Never knew that Lexus makes a Plug In Hybrid..Should have taken a pic..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

4. FloridaSun

Looked at some Lexus pictures and the one I saw looked like an LS. The grill looked just like on an ICE Lexus..

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

The car reports talk about is the UX 300e. Lexus unveiled its first electric vehicle (UX 300e) at Auto Guangzhou 2019 recently for sale in China, Japan and Europe.
    May be they have decided to test the car in the US or it may be some other models.

Lexus has been teasing plug in hybrids as well as BEVs but are playing close to the vest in what they do

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/lexus-and-toyota-will-allegedly-launch-three-new-evs-by-2021/

Lexus And Toyota Will Allegedly Launch Three New EVs By 2021

BY Brad Anderson | Posted on October 20, 2019 6

Toyota and its luxury brand, Lexus, are getting ready to launch three all-electric vehicles by 2021, Autocar reports.
    Citing unnamed ‘insiders’, the British publication asserts that the Japanese car manufacturers are remaining tight-lipped about which of its models will get electric powertrains in the coming two years. It’s also reported that a series of new plug-in hybrids from both brands are in the pipeline.

They however did show a concept car at the Tokyo Auto show but that far away from production.

https://www.motor1.com/news/383794/lexus-ux-300e-revealed/

Gallery: 2020 Lexus UX 300e
    [​IMG]

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. FloridaSun

I wish I had taken pics. If I would have known that officially, such car does not exist.. I'm 100% positive that it was a Lexus sedan plugged into the charger. Looked like a regular ICE late model Lexus but it certainly had the charger plugged in to the drivers side rear.. Of course, he could have had a fake charge port inside the gas door area so that he'd get prime parking but who would do that just for a better parking space?

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Fake_20PHEV_20charging_20lead

bwilson4web likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The first plugin Prius were 'home grown.'

Bob Wilson

9. FloridaSun

Maybe home grown or maybe a fake charge port to get pime parking associated with EV spots..

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I’ve
    I’ve priced the real vs holster ports. A holster port is cheap enough but a real port even from a salvage is a little pricey. The key is whether there is a cover flap.

Bob Wilson

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. FloridaSun

I did not take a closer look at the port. I just saw the plug plugged into the side of the car.. I didn't get closer than 10 feet from the car. If I would have been sure that a Lexus PHEV or electric really does not exist, I would have taken a closer look.