level 2 charging slower than capable.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by popnfrresh, May 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

What has the charging for level 2 been like in kWh?

I'm not sure if it is my car or the charger that is unable to charge faster than 5.9 to 6.1 on a 6.6 kWh charger.

I've used 6 different charger ports on 4 different stations at 3 different sites all for the same provider (city of rochester ) and same network (chargepoint). Ive charged both at same time as another car on the same station and alone.

I have my first maintenance coming up at the dealer and want to make sure I can bring to their attention if there is an issue.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. First, the charger is in the car, the equipment that supplies the power is called EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment). ( only exception is a DCFC (direct current fast charger) which bypasses the vehicle's on board charger.
    Second, The charging rate is expressed in kW not kWh, and the stored energy in the battery pack is expressed in kWh:
    https://www.energylens.com/articles/kw-and-kwh
    You have been probably charging at EVSEs that are fed with 2 legs of a 3 phase supply 208V , (google for more info), result being less kW rate than single phase equipment @ 240V usually in the 5700 w range rather than 6.6kW. Most public EVSEs are fed from a 3 phase supply and if you are lucky enough to have found one that is single phase 240V , it will likely be current limited to 27.5 A (6.6kW). The Kona EV actually has an obc rated at 7200w , with a home installed EVSE @240V you could achieve the 7200w rate so long as the equipment is so rated (30A continuous = 37.5A on a 40A circuit rating).
    I hope this helps. BTW have you used a fast charger(DCFC) yet? If you have any doubts the dealer will ask if the obc works and if it does they will tell you that any charging problems will be the fault of the supply equipment. (just a heads up);)

Kitsilano and SkookumPete like this.
  4. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

I figured the supply would be blamed, hence asking others first. I was aware of the 7.2 on board and the 77 limit for DCFC.

5. Sounds similar to the problem I've had since purchase of my Kona in Oct last year, with a local 50 kW ABB AC/CCS/Chademo charger, only when using the 43kW AC plug, Type 2 in my case. I can't charge at home so normally use this one a block away. If another EV connects to the DC (50kW) portion my rate drops to 3.5 and does not recover when they leave. Alone, I can get anywhere from 3.8 to 7.4 but it's all over the place, especially during warm days. After discussions with ABB, the EVSE's owner (a power company) and Hyundai, I'm tending to blame ABB but no one has offered a solution other than suggesting that I "use DC instead". Other AC-only EVSEs work fine and there are no other combo units in the area to try out as a comparison.
    Now that I understand the ~40kW I typically get on DC is well under 1C charging for this battery, I'm no longer concerned about the vague warning in the manual, in this context.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    electriceddy and Kitsilano like this.
  6. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

Connected to a different public charger this weekend. Juicebox pro 40 and was seeting 7.6kW on the dash. Unable to confirm with app since it wasnt my charger/juicebox.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Simple EVSEs simply offer their fixed rated current to the car, and the car in turn will take whatever portion it wants of that.
    Others, being more clever may change the offered current to balance PV v.s. grid draw, for example.

The ABB combo unit near my home is trying to modulate the offered AC current to offset the AC used by the DC portion of the EVSE when that's in use, as to not exceed the supply rating, 90kW I've been told. For whatever reason that seems to be not working correctly and may also be the situation you are facing.

9. Does it resemble this one?
    https://new.abb.com/ev-charging/products/car-charging/multi-standard/terra-54-cjg
    I thought this was a good idea, but maybe not?

10. Not only does it resemble that but it is a Terra 54 CJG.
    The brochure indicates that it should be able to handle concurrent sessions and I expect that's why it was supplied with 90kW:
    "Charging sessions 1 DC & 1 AC session (G & T models)"
    Zoes that can handle 43kW are rare, if not ever found in NZ. 22kW models are more common but they can charge for free 2 blocks away so are not going to spend $0.40 per unit. I've already asked the owner to delete the AC and add a 25kW DC which would be far more useful, and there are already 2 allocated parking spots.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. More bonus points for ABB:oops: I have to give them some credit though as they did come up with a successful firmware update on a local 53cj series model to resolve Hyundai charging.
    Hopefully the issue at your location will achieve the same results. (possibly remote energy management)?
    I really like the idea of the attached AC L2 if you need the range, so as not to hold up the DCFC portion, but not at the cost of a reduced DC rate.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sorry, I may have not been clear -- the DC is not affected and seems to have priority. If the DC is already active then the AC won't even start. If the AC has started alone and at 7.4 kW, it drops to 3.5 kW the moment DC starts and does not return to 7.4 when the DC has finished. It's all quite useless in practice and it's the only DC unit for nearly 20 km, so is well used. BTW, I looked at the label and it's a actually a 53 CJG.

One of the favorite setups I've seem in NZ is this at a supermarket, (2) Type 2 and (2) 25kW CCS that are all independent, and all free with 1 hour free parking. The CCS units are Delta and cost a fraction to purchase compared to the ABB Terra.
    hamilton countdown.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  14. Wow, and in the shade to boot.
    Should be the standard for all :)