Lane Keep Assist

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by notlkk, Feb 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. notlkk

notlkk New Member

Can someone share your experience with the lane keep assist feature? Does it keep the vehicle at the center pretty well or it keeps bouncing left and right to try to be in the center?

Also, how does it perform in bumper to bumper traffic?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Only have limited experience so far. Active lane keep assist seems to work quite well but does steer into corners slightly later than I would so it can be a little unnerving. The smart cruise control also works well and I like the info in the HUD that gives a graphical picture of the distance to vehicle setting. It does come to a complete stop and will start up when the vehicle in front moves. You do need to turn on both LKA and SCC to get it all to work and then the regen paddles are disabled.

CJC likes this.
  4. notlkk

notlkk New Member

Thank you for your feedback.

I'd like to hear more about LKA from you when you've used it more. I'm particularly interested in finding out how it works in straight line driving or bumper-to-bumper traffic. When it's going straight with the LKA activated, does it kind of bounce left and right to try to steer straight or it just goes straight?

5. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Active LKA does steer in the centre of the lane when going straight. I have read that regular LKA tends to bounce from side to side and though you can set up the Kona for non Active LKA I haven’t tried it and can’t quite figure out why or when it’s useful.

CJC likes this.
  6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I've used active LKA for two weeks now. It will steer in the center of the lane without bouncing from line to line. On a straight stretch it works really well as long as the lines are visible. It handles gentle curves well, but on sharper curves it is a little late to react, making it a little scary. It works well with adaptive cruise control. The car will slow down when a slower vehicle is overtaken, and it still steers in the center of its lane, if you move to the other lane, it will pick up speed again to the set speed. If you take your hands off the wheel for more than about 10 seconds, it will beep and issue a warning to put your hands back on the wheel. What I found was to just keep my hands on the wheel and just give it a little torque to the right or left, not enough to actually move the wheel, but just enough for the system to recognize that my hands are there. I'm getting used to driving like normal and letting the LKA monitor my driving and keeping me centered. It doesn't fight to control the wheel, so it is not intrusive, but will gently guide me back to the lane center if I drift. I think eventually, they will update the software to incorporate the NAV system to make it more autonomous. Then, when the right line disappears at an exit, the car will know that the navigation system says to keep going straight. Now you need to take control or it might drift. I do wish it would beep when it loses sight of the lines and when it gets them back. The little display is not the best to see and a beep would be helpful. Hopefully they will fix that eventually through software.
    Haven't tried the non active LKA, I imagine it works just like other vehicles, beeping if you drift over a lane marking and possibly vibrating the wheel. Don't see much point in that.

electriceddy, CJC and Brennan Raposo like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

To add to what @zoominbc said.
    I've had overall great experience with it. It does a really great job of staying in between the lanes. I noticed it only activates at 65km/h or higher. That's when the two white lines go solid and you can feel it start to straighten you out.

It's absolutely incredible in stop and go traffic. It's set it and forget it. All you have to do is give the steering wheel a little tug every 10-15 seconds or so. As mentioned, it's a little scary in corners because it attacks them at a little too steep of an angle. What I mean by that is you'll be driving 100/110 km/h and there's a curve coming up - you'll still be driving straight at the very beginning of the curve then once it senses you're about to go over a line - it starts to follow the curve of the street.

Another area where it's a little dicey is when you're on an 80 road for example, with stop lights every few KM's. You'll be happily cruising at 80/85 and everyone a good few hundred meters ahead of you will be at a complete stop at a red light...and you'll still be going 80...you're palms start to sweat....still going 80.....heart beat rising...still going 80....it'll apply the brakes really hard when you're about 3 to 4 car lengths away from the cars at a complete stop. This is with the follow distance set to the furthest. I wish there was one or two more distance options so It could read traffic a few hundred meters away and at least begin to slow down in advance and not slam on the brakes at the last possible moment.

And to clarify - it has never NOT braked for me in time. But I have had to override and apply the brakes myself when the roads were wet/snowy. At the speed at which you're driving and the distance at which you're just only starting to brake - it's an accident waiting to happen with no winter tires on.

One more point to add. If you're in stop and go traffic where it's still chugging along but you come to brief stops for a second or two - you're fine. When you come to a complete stop for a few seconds or longer - you'll have to his "resume" on the wheel, or simply start accelerating again, then it'll continue with the cruise control.

Vanryan, CJC, notlkk and 1 other person like this.
  9. notlkk

notlkk New Member

Brennan, thanks for the info. One question, you mentioned the active LKA only activates when the speed is over 65km/h, does that mean it won't work in a bumper-to-bumper traffic?

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  10. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

According to p. 5-83 of the Canadian manual, the difference is only in how often the system grabs the wheel. Non-active would appear to be the way to go if you want to do the driving and all you want from LKA is to be kept from wandering over the lines.

11. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Well that braking in SCC is not for the chicken hearted. lol I do remember Nigel the UK reviewer saying he chickened out and applies brakes. I am not a cruise control fan, but my husband (retired airline pilot) loves all technology and is very good with it due to his career. He takes nothing for granted and always anticipates all the possible scenarios. Me not so much. I will likely play around with Smart Recuperation and leave it at that.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

This will be interesting. I'm sure you husband would be happy to fly with an autopilot that worked most of the time.

CJC likes this.
  14. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

I think that’s just the speed at which you can activate it. But it does work flawlessly in stop and go traffic!

I think I mentioned it in another post but it does a great job. It’ll even come to a complete stop if traffic does.

notlkk and CJC like this.
  15. Wayne Warde

Wayne Warde Active Member

I have noticed that if there's a exit to the right off of a highway the lane keep assist will try and stay to the right which means that you would exit the highway even if you don't want to. I realy pay extra attention at these points.

CJC likes this.
  16. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Yes, when it loses a lane marker on one side, it tends to swing that way looking for the line. Hopefully a future update will make it a little smarter, but a computer can only do so much, that's why you need to keep your hands on the wheel.

17. Wayne Warde

Wayne Warde Active Member

Absolutely. I would never trust it that far .

18. I looked at it yesterday and you're right. The symbol on the dash (behind the steering wheel) is white when you activate the system. It changes to green when you're up to speed and it is actually engaged (it will steer you back into the lane). It turns back to white when it's not active (no lanes detected or you set the blinker to change lanes).

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Wayne Warde likes this.
  19. Thought I would add a comment to this old but relevant thread with a positive shout out for Hyundai.
    Hand surgery a few weeks ago made my life a little more complicated, and am certainly grateful for this feature especially with the Active Lane Keep Assist functional improvement (centering in the lane) in the 21 model.
    Although not a perfect system, It sure has made my mobile life easier these last 2-3 weeks. :)

mho and Esprit1st like this.