kona roof rack

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Jun 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

the preferred kona has an integrated roof rail, at least in canada. so I just need cross bars.

when I look at the yakima or thule vehicle selector tool, I get their aeroblade kits for 700-800 canadian.

but the local dealer has some aerodynamic thule cross bars for 300 canadian (370+ tax installed).

what's the deal? usually dealer parts are overpriced.

am I doing something wrong when searching the thule/yakima sites?

does anyone know the part number for the thule kit the dealer sells?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Matt Plaschka

Matt Plaschka New Member

4. Yes I did. After a couple minor adjustments to the positioning and tightening them not permanently live attached to the roof and work quite well they only whistle lightly between about 55-65km below or above that and they’re silent. The key cover for one is cracked as it jammed trying to remove the cover but otherwise they are on look good and work well.

5. Matt Plaschka

Matt Plaschka New Member

Can you post a close up photo of the point where you attach it to the roof rails? Thanks in advance.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. after the first install I realized the directions/label was backwards and it should face the direction of the wind like an airplane wing where the directions had the pointed/sharp end facing forward, nothing “wrong” but they will whistle like a mad man that way.

Second issue was I didn’t read the directions clearly and I attached/locked them down -after- tightening the “widening” screws (the ones that let you extend them to the length needed) where you should let them “float“ loose and clamp the rail grippers to the rail First until they look snug, then tighten the widening screws so the whole setup is firm (otherwise they don’t quite grip the rail like they should and can pop off with horizontal pressure).

Finally I ended up pulling them right to both ends of the main rails limits because I have a rooftop bag and it doesn’t quite fit otherwise, not really an issue but more a note to give yourself the space ahead of time rather than having to redo it. Now that they’re on there snuggly they rarely whistle and pulling on them tells me they’re on there securely.

22466A50-D63F-492C-8F19-AF0CFF298059.jpeg 51079938-060A-4794-A810-89AA7D4FFC73.jpeg 34A62410-6DA7-4C84-80C9-0CF0CD2AB6A8.jpeg 24021BD7-EDA5-45AF-92AE-943C3D6E1F5F.jpeg

8. Matt Plaschka

Matt Plaschka New Member

Jared,

Thank you for taking the time to describe and take the photos. Much appreciated.

9. Any suggestions for a US based Kona Ultimate that doesn't come with side-rails to hook crossbars into?

electriceddy likes this.
  10. I’m having Rac-Attack in Boston mount four landing pads on the roof of my car to mount my old crossbars. That means they will drill into the roof and have to seal the pads down permanently. It’s not ideal but it’s the best solution I could find.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. mho likes this.