Kona EVs observed in the wild

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Feb 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have encountered the odd Kona EV on the road and also at the charging station, but today I was surrounded by them.:eek:
    One white one behind me and another blue one like mine in front.
    Anybody else seen any in the "wild"?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

4. I see them daily in my neighbourhood now. Also just EVs in general. I was at my local rural grocery store yesterday and counted seven BEVs in the parking lot.

5. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

I see Kona everyday (I leave in Quebec, Canada) and a lot of other EV too (mostly Leaf, Bolt, Tesla Model 3, Volts). There's 60,000 EV and hybrids on Quebec's province roads, thanks to governments incitatives (we can get up to 13,000 $CAD in incitatives, depending on the price of the car). Home chargers also get a 600$ incitative.

6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

We're as thick as crows here on the Island. The other day I saw an owner wrestling with a DC charger. They hadn't opened the lower port and indeed after several months of ownership hadn't ever encountered a fast charger or even understood that it was different or that hooking up to it at 90% wasn't a good use of anyone's time. I guess some people just want to drive the car, which if nothing else shows that the market has gone beyond enthusiasts.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ITown

ITown Active Member

I live in the California bay area and don't think I've seen a Kona EV yet.

9. I was hoping you’d report a Kona spotting in Nanaimo today. I felt like a drive and some shopping, so ended up in your neighbourhood.

And to be fair, I totally struggled with my first public charge as the manual is quite vague on how to charge and how the charger is locked to the vehicle. I was picking up my parents at the airport and couldn’t figure out how to unlock the damn charger from my car. They laughed at me.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Now I hit the unlock button every time without thinking about it when disconnecting. Took some getting used to.
    I wish Kona had a simpler way (like just pull out the connector) as this system will eventually cause premature wear on the door actuators.:(
    As it turns out today I was in Ladysmith area and encountered zero Kona EVs, however at least half a dozen M3s passed me on the island highway

Kathryne likes this.
  11. jde2019kona

jde2019kona New Member

San Jose, CA here - haven’t seen one either. Lots of Leafs (Leaves?) and Teslas, though.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

Haha, my first attempt with a public L2 charger put the car in a state I've not seen since, unable to charge or release the lock or shut down.

14. And you pressed the Unlock on your FOB?

15. SkookumPete

It all worked out somehow. :confused:

16. Don't forget about the little orange release button under the hood, if the system goes completely wonky.